Retro Full Suspension – First Ride. (RTS Content)

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Morning All,

Up until recently there were a couple of things I wanted to try out.

1. An aluminium frame
&
2. A full suspension frame

Just before Christmas I managed to get my hands on an American built GT RTS1 frame – Fulfilling both of the above

I’ve been building it up over the last couple of weeks and yesterday was its first voyage.

I have to say I am impressed. I’ve only ever ridded steel hardtails and to be honest was worried that I wouldn’t get on with how the bike rode.

My worries were put to rest after 15 minutes and the first hill. Apart from being a little heavy the bike feels fantastic. The comfort of the ride far outweighs the slight weight penalty.

The piggyback noleen shock only develops about 65mm of travel (correct me if I’m wrong) but it feels like much more the bike floated over the bumps and rocks etc.

The build isn’t period but still retro (well IMHO) but I’m really happy with how its come together.

As I was building her up I thought she wouldn’t be a keeper but I think she will remain….for now!

Go RTS!

M

:LOL: :LOL:

Pickle":3518zfwp said:
RTS's are great bikes, glad you enjoyed it ;)

Perhaps this is my naivety with full suspension bikes but the RTS seems to carry all of its weight around the BB (the massive rocker). This makes the bike feel stable and planted when riding.

Just fighting the urge to fit a riser bar instead of the flat bar it currently has
:roll: :LOL: :LOL:

Sounds nice :cool: , i was the opposite at the start of last year when i rode a Clockwork for the first time, had rode an alloy full susser for years, the Clockwork felt wierd but i soon got used to it and discovered the appeal of a nice steel frame.

Any pics of the RTS ;)

mattbrown":3olxceoj said:
risers on an RTS are a no no, would like ot see some pictures

I know :roll:

Here are a couple of pics but they are a couple of weeks olds and a WIP rather than finished.....

P1010008-3.jpg

P1010006-6.jpg

Back