Hi all from a newbie

badshot

Dirt Disciple
Hi all second post thought I'd say hello.

I bought my Kona Explosif in 1992 to race, I promptly snapped the original xc500's. I then had them replaced with some very bad rockshox.

I am now on some kona P2's. I want to go back to suspension, when the last bike shop fitted the P2's they also fitted a Ahead stem so does that mean I can just go for any 1 1/8" suspension forks out there now?

Thanks for any help.

Paul

welcome to the site.

In theory yes any 1 1/8th fork will fit your ahead setup, however with your bike being so elderly most modern forks will seriously screw with the geometry of your bike due to the length of travel of most forks these days being greatly more than the forks available in the day.

What I would do is look out for some good condition 2nd hand forks of approx 60mm travel to limit the amount you jack up the front end/lengthten the wheelbase of your explosif by.

Hi Jerky

Thanks for the reply, your right re the travel, between 100-200mm these days seems the norm :?

I think my old Marzzoche's had a theaded steerer too, do these new ahead stems take all unthreaded forks now?

Thanks again matey

Paul

Hi, and welcome to the site.

Have a look in our For Sale forum for some 1" 1/8th ahead steerer forks, there are plenty out there! Measure your steerer to make sure you buy some with the right length.

There are plenty of Mag 21's, Quadra's, RC-35's etc to chose from......£30 - 60 or so will get you a decent set of period correct forks.

As Jerky says, dont go modern as it'll mess up the angles of your bike.

Welcome to the site mate. Not being a Kona expert but might it be worth checking whether you have a one inch or one and one eighth inch aheadset size first?

Agency_Scum":1jcm862g said:
Welcome to the site mate. Not being a Kona expert but might it be worth checking whether you have a one inch or one and one eighth inch aheadset size first?

Hi Agency,

Thanks your right, how can I check if its a 1" or 1 1/8" ?

Paul

Shows you how bad my memory is, its actually a 1994!, i still cant see anywhere where it says 1 1/8" steerer though :?

badshot":19e2pu7p said:
Shows you how bad my memory is, its actually a 1994!, i still cant see anywhere where it says 1 1/8" steerer though :?
It's 1 1/8". By '94 the only model still using a 1" headset was the Hahanna.

Latest posts

Back