What does NOS mean to you?

Dr.Robotnik

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi guys,

I am having a little trouble with an item I bought. It was described as NOS however when it arrived it showed signs of use, had no packaging, instructions or sticker and basically was not what I thought I was getting.

I am new here so I'd thought I'd ask, what does NOS and other terms mean to you, retrobikers?

To me NOS means New Old Stock - this means the item will be inside its original packaging with all materials supplied when new. Parts missing or any shop wear should be mentioned. But this should mean the item is perfect.

New - means it has no signs of use, shop wear if described is sometimes acceptable.

Used then a description of condition e.g. good used, or well used - means it has been used, this is my best description, it's up to you to determine its value now.

Spares or repair - item is incomplete or broken and is only good for spares or repair.

Please let me know what you think as my experience comes from restoration of other vintage stuff apart from bikes. Maybe you view things differently, but at the moment I am pretty annoyed with my deal as I received in my eyes a used part.

Cheers

If id bought something as NOS then yes id expect it to be not used with possible o.e packaging if possible/decals etc and clean,sometimes like you say there are marks but in this game most things even though not used have been floating around for many years so to an extent shop damage is acceptable,have you any pics of the part?

Yes, never used or fitted, packaging prefered I geuss. As new would be never ised but may have been fitted/ very lightly used.

This is what I thought I'd get (not this exact one, this is an example of a NOS version);

Bulletbrostensioner.jpg

This is what I got.

Marks from QR from mounting.

16-01-09phd008.jpg

Stretched spring.

16-01-09phd009.jpg

How spring end should look.

16-01-09phd011.jpg

Worn anodizing.

16-01-09phd013.jpg

I know, not the end of the world, but this item has been used and then cleaned up. Also as the smaller spring is stretched and that's the one I wanted, it might not be any good to me.

The seller (from here, but I am not naming names, yet) should to my mind, have mentioned all this.

to me NOS means 'new old stock' which literally translated means unused to me.
It should have the original packaging/ box if there was one unless stated otherwise.
The key issue here is the precise wording of the sales description.
The missing packaging in this case would appear to be sealed which if missing implies the item has possibly been used or at least fitted.

Leaving aside the packing issue this item has clearly been used so therefore cannot be described as 'new' it has been misadvertised and your contract with the seller is therefore voided.
You are entitled to a full refund or negotiated discount.

yeah thats protty poor. NOS should be just that, new but old. i guess in the car world some nos bits have some surface rust as they are steel but that has clearly been used.

the seller has made a premium based on marketing it as NOS so i would kick off, gently at first mind!

lewis1641":3uykwu6f said:
the seller has made a premium based on marketing it as NOS so i would kick off, gently at first mind!

Yep. Done and done.

For all I know it could be a simple mistake. :?

I agree with everyone else, NOS is in New, unused condition, probably in packaging. Afterall, they are describing the item as New, just no longer available in shops. :)

To me NOS means that it is not used where it is made for. Packaging is nice, but not always present if the item was for example a display item. The later means anodising can also be faded because of sunlight. Still NOS, but explicit mention of the fading would be required. Item can also me moved in storage, so damages could have occured. NOS, but again a decent person mentions this expicitely. I would be willing to accept that for example a crankset has been mounted on an axle on a display bike at some point. Causes slight marks. That is entering a bit a grey area though. I would say Robotniks tension device defo isn't in a grey area. It simply can't be called NOS no matter what definition used.

I've seen adverts where the seller mentions that many NOS parts were sourced when restoring a bike.

"The parts were NOS when I fitted them" :LOL:

OK, but SO WHAT? The parts aren't NOS anymore, are they?

Once you've opened the packaging, fitted the parts, ridden the bike, got it scratched, had your fun and then cleaned the mud off:

It's been USED.

Maybe the seller in this case is working to similar guidelines?

Back