PACE RC36 Stealth help please

northerndave

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi everyone

So I've got myself some new pace RC36's off here recently :D and need a bit of help with circlips. First day, the circlips popped straight off the bottom of the damper leg bouncing in my kitchen :evil: :evil: :evil: Super miffed that it should happen to a previously unused for but that's another story

So i'm trying to get them back together so they're ridable...

They're the Stealth Hollowform model from 2003.

Does anyone have any clue on how to get the circlip back onto the bottom of the damper leg after removing the lower legs for servicing?

I can't seem to get the internal damper rod to stick out of the bottom of the leg enough to sit the circlip in the right postion? It's mad, the spring leg is fine and pops right into position but the damper site won't push out the fork enough, no matter how hard I try and pull it with pliers out of the bottom of the fork. Trying to compress them all the way is impossible..

Anyone has experience of this? How do you service yours? Do your circlips go on easily?

Cheers for any advice

Dave

Seems like the circlips have been streched open a bit from someone removing them a few times. I always use new ones every couple of services to be safe. Try putting it together without the spring stack in place first. You may still need to use a small flat blade screwdriver to prize up the damper rod with the groove for the circlip as sometimes the o ring at the bottom of the rod prevents the groove fully clearing the base of the dropout.

That's it, cheers rc300. I was completely stuck with it to the point i'd been chatting with PACE themselves about how a supposedly user serviceable part was so hard to 'user service'...

The screw driver is the answer. Left the spring stack clipped in and just got enough leverage with the screwdriver to push the clip on.

Even though I'm fixed now, has anywone else had similar issues with Stealth forks?

Yep, exactly what RC300 says; what you are doing when levering the rod is compressing a rubber o-ring inside the leg which is there to stop muck entering or grease/oil exiting and also to stop things rattling. Best to use new circlips when servicing, and replace the circlips every 4 to 6 months too as they can expand gradually and slip out of the groove-dont forget the supporting circlips inside too!! :D

Back