UK vs the Continent / Used bikes availibility

bduc61

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Looking at the availibility and depth of old school bikes in the "used" market or ebay, I am quite surprised to see that offers of nice stuff reasonably priced ( especially steel frames and bikes) seems to be much more plentiful in the UK than on the continent.

Prices in Germany are very often crazy, offer in France is more scarce. :(

Any idea , why you brits are at an advantage ??? :roll: Was the MTB market more developped in the british isles 10 to 15 years ago ?

in 1992 at the height of fashion, there was some 55,000,000 people in the UK so that approx 1500,000 kids saying

'I wanna maaaaaaantin' bike!'

I disagree , there a lots of used bikes in france , but they are still in garages and sheds .

I said in "used" ads or ebay !!!

so french have bigger garages or sheds

and tend to keep the old stuff much longer ;)

did not know about that "sociology behavioral pattern " :LOL:

I think there are many more that seem available in the States - but then it's got 5 times the population of the UK! When I see over on VRC the number of decent bikes that turn up in 'thrift' stores or back yard sales etc that would never happen here.

orange71":3m8mvir1 said:
I think there are many more that seem available in the States - but then it's got 5 times the population of the UK! When I see over on VRC the number of decent bikes that turn up in 'thrift' stores or back yard sales etc that would never happen here.

mores the pitty!

From this site, you would be forgiven for thinking that all the bling bikes in Europe were contained within the Spanish quarter.

it absolutely doesn't make sense to browse the Dutch market, hardly a bike here

orange71":9a1at5wg said:
This is very true, and the US was obviously ahead of the UK in getting into mtb, and the UK was a bit ahead of Europe.

But prices are higher in Germany because people there have got a lot more money than impoverished Brits - and it's for the same reason I guess that there are more retro Rocky Mountains for sale in Germany than here, because Brits could never afford to buy them in the first place.

Back