Paint Job

bobriot

Dirt Disciple
OK I'm going to take the plunge and start my first restoration. To make it an easy one I'm after a Kona Explosif 1997 that will have a gold/black theme kitted with old XTR as there's stacks of that on ebay.

For the paintwork Argos do a lovely metalic gold re-spray but I was wondering if anyone has tried a car bodyworks shop and what they thought of the finished job? I want decals on it but I figure that the car paint shop should be able to do that. Or should I stop fannying around and get over to Argos in Brissol?

Thanks
Bob

If you're committed to a repaint, then making a poor decision will only cost you time and some $, because you can always strip it down and do it again.

Depending on the service, an autobody shop can be a good choice, they may cut you a break on the price for having such a small job, and they should be able to match just about anything you want. It's easier for them if you know of a vehicle that's painted the same colour you want.

Some will bake their finishes in heated booths, some don't have that technology. Just shop around..

Good luck!

Argos have the reputation for beautiful paint, but I have heard too many times thats the finish is not that durable. It seems to chip easily.
It would be interesting to hear what others say who have had their frames painted by Argos.
If it was my frame...and it was going to used hard, then I would consider powdercoating, but that would reduce your options down to a single colour for the frame.
Have a look at Triple S powdercoaters.....I have had non-cycle stuff done by them and the finish was superb.
HB
http://www.triple-s.co.uk/

WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T GO TO A CAR SPRAYER.

1 Their sprayers are excellent at big flat things not small round pipes. Often the spray guns are too big even to get into a frame.
2 Car paint is even worse on chips than wet spray bike enamel.
3 With bike paint, go for a stoved enamel not a flam for durability.
4 Powdercoat is more resilient (it's soft plastic you are coating with) but there can be problems once / if moisture gets under the plastic. Corrosion goes crazy then and eats away your frame.

Check out Bettablast.com they do a really nice job, I got the 'dale done there ans plan to get the Orange done as well (the bare polished frame is just too much work!)

Bettablast guy is Neil who has done some pretty impressive bigger jobs in his time (Donald Campbell's Bluebird etc) and he really knows his stuff. I had originally wanted a cracked earth effect but he rang to say the undercoat would take six weeks so suggested a silver then green two coat. I was apprehensive going to collect but as promised the finish is truly outstanding. Oh, and no chips a year down the line.

If you are unsure about one paint shop it is worth pointing out that Vaz, Chas Roberts and a host of other frame builders and finishers exist.

Great advice thanks, the main reason I wanted to use a body shop is that there's one about 300 yards away from my house. That said Argos is only 12 miles drive so I am very lucky.

I had my 93 rockhopper comp power coated and as you say it was tough. The problem with the bike I have my eye on is that it's metalic gold and I want it that way with original-ish decals.

I think that the stove enamel it our because of the colour options. Look like Argos paint job then.

With the chips can you just touch them up?

Just checked out that triple S site and there is a metalic powder coat.

mmmmmm powder coat...

Considering a proper paint job for one of my frames, seen Dave Yates mentioned elsewhere on RB. Been looking at Argos Cycles and now concerned about above reports of chipping paint. Anyone used Dave Yates for a paint job before?

Back