Any UK frame builders do TIG repairs?

pete_mcc

Feature Bike
BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I'm trying to figure out if there are any builders in the UK who are willing to take on TIGged frame repairs and who are willing to TIG when repairing.

I know loads of them are happy to braze repairs ie a new seat tube or top tube but then you are left with the interesting 'half tig/ half fillet brazed' frame.

Is there anyone in Blighty or do I have to look to our American cousins for help....

yeh I'm looking to get a seat tube replaced on a Goat frameset. Interested to see prices on this or if anyone can offer a service here.

The one builder I knew of who does TIG the occasional frame is Dave Yates but he won't do repairs on TIGed frames due to the stress introduced by rewelding and area :cry:

cchris2lou":102fkdeo said:
give a ring to David Crowe at colour-tech , 01322 555 549

Thanks for the lead, does he know his stuff, have you had dealings in the past? I know they do cracking paint jobs so maybe he's the perfect 'one stop shop'! :D

i took the P21 the other day and he gave me a tour . they have a frame builder on site called Ron Coper , and he said they were doing Tig build and repair . but never had any repair done by him .

pete_mcc":1xca0yio said:
I know loads of them are happy to braze repairs ie a new seat tube or top tube but then you are left with the interesting 'half tig/ half fillet brazed' frame.
I don't see what is wrong with half welded and half brazed. As has been said, brazing is at a lower temperature and therefore weakens the material much less. As welding an area twice weakens it twice over, there must be something to be said for the idea that brazing is the best way to do repairs.

Nothing wrong, just if you have a classic bike that you want to return to 'as new' condition it wouldn't look right.

If it's the same Ron Cooper he is a legend in road frame building circles. You see them badged as Ron Coopers but iirc he was also the builder of Bates Cantiflexes for a while.

i believe in fixies":8ct5ys3c said:
If it's the same Ron Cooper he is a legend in road frame building circles. You see them badged as Ron Coopers but iirc he was also the builder of Bates Cantiflexes for a while.

I think he is .

Back