How to change rear hub axle

Void(EN12-82)

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

Got a bit of a problem here... I have just laced me an old XT rear hub (a NOS one) that's supposed to be 7 speed. And indeed it's 7-speed all right. Only problem is: I think it's a 130mm OLD version, since I have to "squeeze" the frame together a bit to get the hub in the dropouts.

Any way I can change this? I think I should be able to find a replacement axle somewhere right? But do I also need an extra spacer or en extra locknut or something? Or do I really need to unlace the stuff and start looking for a 135 OLD rear hub.

Really strange, the hub look totally identical to another M732 I have and that one IS 135mm. Nothing on the hub states it should be different than my other one, except for that I need to squeeze the rear of my stumpjumper frame together. It won't even fit my KLEIN frame, just falls right out between the dropouts :-(

Any help please :oops:

Void

A 135mm hub should have a 145mm axle length. If it's shorter you should be able to pop in a new axle and add a couple of spacers to job the job.

Like he said, get appropriate length axle, transfer all pieces (cones, locknuts, dust caps, spacers) from the old axle to the new. With a bit of jiggerypokery, i.e adding the spacer to the appropriate side, you should be able to avoid needing to adjust the dishing of the rim.

As you've found out, XT 732 hubs came in 130 and 135mm versions. The wider version also has a slightly broader flange spacing.

You can usually get away with adding a 5mm spacer without changing the axle - just shuffle the drive-side cone and locknut over 2.5mm, add the spacer on the left, and everything should end up symmetrical, with 3mm axle overhang per side. It's enough. You'll need to re-dish your wheel too, of course.

The locknuts on these hubs are set very tight from the factory - I've sometimes had to resort to heat to shift them.

If you do want to change the axle, most any standard 10mm x 1mm threaded axle will work.

IbocProSX":1r4tt9j3 said:
Ans if my memory doesn't let me down, a DX rear hub axle will fit just as well.

Thanx for the help guys! Anyways, been looking through my parts bin and found an old M737 rear hub. You know, the 8 speed parallax design. These are also 135mm OLD right? You guys think if I take the axle off this hub it'll also fit my M730 rear hub?

BTW: I did manage to get the wheel into my KLEIN now, but I need to tighten the QR more than normal (so there's a bit of rod sticking out of the locknut). Is this safe or does that put too much stress on the frame? Because the wheel is like... PERFECTLY centered and true now, my brakes and shifting are PERFECT. Would be a shame if changing the axle would end me up adjusting the brakes and gears all over again (ein?) ;-)

Void

Yes, that axle will work. You should not have to retension the wheel, although there may be some monir dish issues to sort out after you're through with the hub.

As an FYI, those narrow bodied 130mm 732s are great candidates for 8-9 speed conversions. :cool:

Thanx again guys, great info!

I've figured it out... I have another 7-speed XT hub and that one is 135mm OLD, so I'll be lacing that one up for my KLEIN. I still have two rims left as well, so in stead of having to hassle with changing the axle I could just as well just go and get me 32 spokes and nipples.

Found a bit on Sheldon Brown's website that states it's OK to use a 130 OLD hub in a 135 spacing steel frame but not in an alu frame. So I can use this wheel now for my Stumpjumper that also needs a wheel and I'll just lace up a new 135 OLD wheel for my klein. Since I still have the same rims around that I used for the front wheel.

So I'm just gonna get me 32 spokes and nipples and transfer the cassette to the new wheel... won't be needing my KLEIN till somewhere this summer anyway ;-)

Back