Selle Italia Flite

henrysthreeironbands

Senior Retro Guru
Flite saddles, especially the early ones, should be of great interest to retro fans. Were they not the first "modern" saddles"? Yet its design did not go out of fashion after about 2 decades!!!

Still I hear little talk about them; their history, generations, features, how many were made, different versions, designs, colors.... whats cool and what's not, its legacy to saddle design etc. Please share with us your experiences with this classic saddle.

Attachments

• flite.jpg
    flite.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 2,316
mtbmaniac":450b5rqa said:
Please share with us your experiences with this classic saddle.

My first 'experience' with Flitey was very personal, the details of which are not to be shared with members of the public.

It was strangely comfortable, exciting, and very racy.

And that is all I shall say one the matter.

Except, that in the end she broke my balls, the affair ended, and I found Brook. She has a lovely tan.

Well, been fitting the Flite on all my retrobikes now, the Mk1 and recently a kevlar one. They do good for me but at long distance I think I have to create
myself a Flite bottom. Prefer the newish Selle Italia SLR wich is more comfortable but cant put that on a retrobike..:).

In what way can you get used to a seat? They fit you are dont or is that simple thinking and is it possible that after hours of pain the seat will get more comfortable? Like I said, the SLR was directly perfetc...

i remember you could buy an original flite for around £27 now they are twice as much, i think they are taking the piss. apart from that a fantastic saddle.

I have one on each of my retro bikes, and one on my KHS2005 beasty too... I quite like them although my next retro build will be going the way of the brooks.

i preffered the vetta sl ti, except for the chisel of a front that would catch on everything... currently have on of those on one bike and an old flight ti trans alp on my main bike... its a bit uncomfortable though... :cool:

Tried a Flite Ti on my '93 Explosif and found it the most comfy saddle ever, hence most of my bikes now have them including orange on my Bizango and yellow with blue kevlar on my Amp B4; I guess i Have a Flite fitting bum :shock:

Mr Chicken":3ccs3vy4 said:
i remember you could buy an original flite for around £27 now they are twice as much, i think they are taking the piss. apart from that a fantastic saddle.

When were they released? The RRP in 1993 was £49.95p, but I don't have any prices for bike parts earlier than that. Compare that to a Ritchey WCS Ti saddle that was nearer £60, the price ain't so bad

In the same year the Evolution carbon version was £99.95p

As I had to fund all my own stuff with chuff all cash, I used the Selle Italia Expedia Saddle BITD, a bargain at about £18 and only about 10g heavier than a Flite :LOL:

selle italia started to sell them in 1991. first ones were grey. love them. true work of art. funny thing is i had a very close eye on flites on ebay for a while. the ones that sold best had the photo made from a special angle. made it look unresistable :LOL:

Back