retro DH bikes . . . and some ill person ramblings!

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
ramblings first, to explain the retro DH thinking! :D

got home from work this morning at 6.15 am after a 12hr shift, had been in the bog for various chunks of the night after some stomach problems and a load of cold/flu generally crappy feelings, quite funny really as i work in the "mooney lab" i thought while contorted in stomach ache.

so here i am after waking up around 2.30pm having finally just got out of the shower while waiting for the hot water system to sort itself out sitting back in bed watching crap TV and typing away on here with a lemsip at my side!

now the reason for the post:-

while waiting for the hot water i noticed LGF's post about his newly aquired LTS, very nice i thought to myself, used to have one like it and i liked it. got me thinking . . . What were the best downhill bikes of the time? not that i'm suggesting that the LTS was DH only just it set the wheels of my brain in motion that's all!

so, what are your favourites or what do you consider the best pre 2000 downhill bikes?

from the big guns i was thinking, GT LTS DH, GT LOBO, Giant ATX1

from the smaller companies, Intense M1, Foes?

come on, i want pictures and justification for your choices!! :D :D

and just incase you think i was joking about the "mooney lab" here's proof! :LOL:

Attachments

• n612249761_969506_3822.jpg
    n612249761_969506_3822.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 3,692
I had a prototype Wheeler that a mate of mine was given when he was sponsered in about '98.

I also had a Marin Mt. Vision Pro frame that I built up - best full sus I'd owned or wridden, up or down

National the Atx990 was a good bike?

When the Cannondale V4000 appeared that was a show stopper

The intense m1 was like a rolls royce

well i always thought the LTS DH was the bollox, its a funny thing Vouillez not liking it as he helped developed it for GT :roll: maybe he fell out with GT :?

San Andreas i think pioneered big travel and is a personal fave when built up right, besides the usual suspects other interesting stuff are the Intense M1 which was a great bike , Foes who did some interesting stuff, including a leaf spring rear shock, and the Turner / Kona Stab which was the same bike.

I loved my Lobo when it wasn't broken, but it was mostly broken. :cry: Was a big improvement over the LTS, braking was much better and the lower standover was nice. Too bad they wasted their time (and my money) with the thermoplastic frame.

Intense M1 or the Sunn had to be the best of the day, which bike won more world cup races?

Back