Trimble tiger stripe paint

jez-4-bikes-max

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Just talking to Argos about this.

How did they achieve this effect? Anyone know?

From what we discussed on the phone it could have been done the following ways:

1) Handpainted black stripes ( I doubt)
2) Painted black undercoat, with masked areas for stripes then colour sprayed over the top. Masks removed for stripes to be revealed.
3) Magic

??????????????????

#2 me thinks.

have they given you a quote yet Jez :?:

I have looked into a few different paint jobs and styles from chameleon paint to heat sensitive colour changing paint to custom airbrushing , I always feel like they are charging too much compared to a simple single colour at your local car body shop that only costs me £70 for frame and forks in metallic

when I enquired at a couple of paint shops the chameleon or the heat sensitive came to about £350 just for the frame,

The airbrushing chaps wouldn't give a quote but a motorcycle petrol tank costs about £300-£600 :shock:

you maybe should try a home effort Jez, buy a airbrush gun and let your imagination carry you away :!: , if it doesn't work - sand it down and then pay for someone else to try.

Quite right there. I could do a decent job of it myself too but as you say I need the equipment. Compressor, a gun etc.

Would be fun tho and I WOULD do a decent job Im sure.

Ill await the quote.

Jez,

If I had to spray this frame, I would achieve it by ...

1.) Laying down you primer coats

2.) Spraying in the colors with the fades

3.) Applying a die cut mask in the Tiger stripe pattern

4.) Rremoving the "thin" stripe sections

5.) Spray a thinnered black

6.) Peel the balance of the mask that protected the colors

7.) Clear coat x 2

8.) Bake

It's a fairly extensive process...expect to pay around 500 - 600 US for the work if done by a bicycle painter/fabricator.

cheers,

rody

Ah nice one Rody...

Thats the kind of prices Im expecting. Its the darn stenciling that will take the time to set up and sort out.

Carbon frame? Would that be baked?

Working in a hardware store, we often had folks usually school leavers asking for tartan paint.
icon_ptdr.gif

would be popular if you could get it

Paint the first coat in water based paint. Before it dries paint the second coat with oil based paint, watch the fun effects! :LOL:

Seriously though No.2 sounds most likely.

I use Argos all the time and they are dear, however they are also efficient and have an excellent attention to detail. They also paint loads of carbon stuff so should be trust worthy with something as rare as the Trimble. I'd let them do it to be honest.

You could save money though and go full custom paint finish... Candy red clear over silver base?

Back