light klanking noise in rim???

RockiMtn

Gold Trader
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
so i finally got around to testing out an extra used set of mavic 117 rims laced on XTR m910 hubs i got over the holidays.

there's this annoying light "klank" noise when the front wheel is rotated at really low rpms. it's not there when spun faster. also not there when the tire is deflated. took the tire and tube off to inspect and don't see anything.

it's like there's a small pebble or something inside the rim. but when i shake it, i don't hear anything rattling inside. anyone have a clue what it could be and maybe fix the problem?

My NOS Mavic 117 CD Ceramic makes the same noise... I also has this noise on a Mavic 217 as well. I did 1000's of miles on it with no probs.

I read many years ago that it is due to an insert that is put into the box section at the join in the rim before the welding process and that this piece comes loose - it will not affect the integrity wheel in any way., it just makes a noise. :?

I do not know why tyre inflation/deflation makes a difference to the noise, I have noticed this too.

Hope this puts your mind at rest.

Chaser.

andrewl":c333veh1 said:
Yes its just the joiner. I glue mine in place to stop the noise...

how does one go about gluing the joiner? i don't even see what the problem is?

RockiMtn":13tzwq4r said:

If you pull your rim tape off and look in the two spoke holes either side on the rim joint you should be able to see a metal insert which you'll be able to move with a jewellers screwdriver etc.

I just get a small bit of glue or sealasitc etc and stick the insert to the inside of the rim by sticking a small amount of glue etc on a wooden cooking skewer and sticking in in through the spoke hole and onto the insert.

I've got rims I did this to 10 years ago and it just gets rid of the annoying noise.

RockiMtn":kahemd86 said:

You can either glue it or use a centre punch on it. Either side of the join you should see two indentations. Just put a punch on them and give it a sharp tap. If that's not it then you may have a spoke nipple stuck in the rim. The amount of times I seen this is ridiculous.

thanks for the tips. i'll try working it out this w/e. the noise isn't so loud, but it's annoying enough that i'll probably get irritated with it.

RockiMtn":1vuxcacf said:
thanks for the tips. i'll try working it out this w/e. the noise isn't so loud, but it's annoying enough that i'll probably get irritated with it.

Absolutely nothing worse than a rattle or unfamiliar noise coming from your bike
Took me weeks of frustration to remove a tiny fragment of stone that had somehow got into the up tube

As to why the air pressure affects the sound ,could the air pressure cause the inner section of the rim to bend very slightly outwards[ie into the void]
therefore pulling in the outside edges and limiting the space the insert has to move?
Im talking about Fractional movments and the insert would have to be a close tolerance anyway
:? :? :? interesting

Back