Where does the Fire Mountain sit?

LeeDevelopment

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
So, in the Kona family tree, where abouts would the Fire Mountain sit? I pass a very sad dying one seemingly permanently chained to a railing outside a house everyday and am thinking about rescuing it.

Just above the hahana but with the same tubing (94 onwards?) basic model but a great bike none the less

I thought it had the butted tubing while the Hahanna had plain gauge. Probably depends on the year.

Anyway, worth rescuing...get the stubby bottle jack or angle grinder out!

LeeDevelopment":1ynbuw2g said:
Retro Kona seems to show it as a 97 frame.......hmmmm, tempted!
Fire Mountains had butted tubes most years. If it's a 97, then so did the Hahanna that year, but I think the Hahanna had high-tensile stays. Butted tubes is better than plain-gauge, but they were 1.0-0.7-1.0, compared to the Lava Dome/Cinder Cone 0.9-0.6-0.9. So you couldn't call it a great frame, but nevertheless a good one.

And like all Konas at that time, a higher-specification frame than other mass-manufactured bikes at the same price point. At each price level, Kona used to put more into the frame and less into the parts than their competitors, which in my view makes them slightly more retro-friendly a decade or more later.

Sit?

Next to the bubbling lake and below the burning sky.......... :D

Apologies but its what I think everytime I see it in the listings. :roll:

Jamie

Re: Sit?

Jamiedyer":1v5wri0c said:

Jamie

Beat me to it. :LOL: Sounded like a riddle from dungeons and dragons!

Jamiedyer":12r4zu1c said:

Jamie

I was about to post something similar. Good to see we're both adding value :LOL:

Jamiedyer":234bkg0i said:
Jamie
I guess Fire Mountain is what the Hawaians call a volcano.

It's one of the few Hawaian names that Kona still uses, Cinder Cone and Caldera are also volcanic, but not particularly Hawaian, Kula means gold, Hei Hei means race. I don't know whether Explosif had Hawaian links, but anyway the Explosif seems to be a thing of the past.

Anthony":79v6g2re said:
Jamiedyer":79v6g2re said:
Jamie
I guess Fire Mountain is what the Hawaians call a volcano.

It's one of the few Hawaian names that Kona still uses, Cinder Cone and Caldera are also volcanic, but not particularly Hawaian, Kula means gold, Hei Hei means race. I don't know whether Explosif had Hawaian links, but anyway the Explosif seems to be a thing of the past.

And, of course, Kilauea is a volcano - another thing of the past too :(

Back