So cold it's ridiculous Baiku

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Cross Baiku:

Layers. Lots of them. All thermal. All rendered useless within a hundred yards. Biting cold wind. Was this stupid? Cunning plan of very hot water in bottle. Ha, that’ll keep me going. Long roads with little cover from the wind. Buff added. Drop into woodland and climb up above dark valleys with enclaves of light from the villages around. Stop on the top of the South Downs and observe nature by moonlight for 10 mins. Beautiful. Tranquil. Calm. Quiet. Cold. Water has frozen solid in water bottle. Spin back borderline too cold. Tea. Pizza. Zombies. Muesli. Bed. Best chill of my life.

Back baaaack in winter 1995, Port Holme near Huntingdon was frozen over AND it had snowed.

after imbibing far to much alcohol and other substances, we all decided to go for a ride. Skidding was an olympic sport and if anyone fell off, we'd all ride over and try and break the ice! :shock: :D

In a quiet moment, I was far out near the East Coast mainline. All was quiet, lots of freezing fog and a full moon.

Just as it was at its most calm, it started snowing very gently with the moon shining through the fog....

I was tripping me tits off.

last night commute was one of the coldest I have ever done .

slicks on icy roads is not fun .

but with the snow in the fields , and no clouds it was beautiful .

Wu-Tangled":395ir329 said:
Cross Baiku:

Layers. Lots of them. All thermal. All rendered useless within a hundred yards. Biting cold wind. Was this stupid? Cunning plan of very hot water in bottle. Ha, that’ll keep me going. Long roads with little cover from the wind. Buff added. Drop into woodland and climb up above dark valleys with enclaves of light from the villages around. Stop on the top of the South Downs and observe nature by moonlight for 10 mins. Beautiful. Tranquil. Calm. Quiet. Cold. Water has frozen solid in water bottle. Spin back borderline too cold. Tea. Pizza. Zombies. Muesli. Bed. Best chill of my life.

You cant beat a good Zombie on a cold night.

Russell":tu5e0bd7 said:
scant":tu5e0bd7 said:
its the UK in winter, get used to it ;)

Because the UK is notorious for its harsh snowy winters?

This is nowt, you young softies! Now, when I were a lad we had PROPER winters, I remember the one of '64 (or was it '65?? or '63??), anyhow, it were real cold and we had 20 foot of snow for 2 months. I had to take a shovel wi' me so I could dig through the drifts on me regular 250 mile training runs every evening after work. And all the rivers froze over, the ice were 10 foot thick in places. We didn't 'ave thermal clothing or over-shoes and all these nancy things around these days, we 'ad a string vest and an old pullover and a bobble 'at and all rode 63" fixed wi' 27" high pressure tyres on steel rims and a saddle bag wi' a few bricks in it. Pushing that lot kept yer warm I tell yer!

I'm off now, back ter me Radio Times and The Archers - proper entertainment!

It's even cold down here in sunny Cornwall!

Funny watching the locals prodding frozen puddles with dirty sticks and muttering!! No honest they do! :shock:

Al. Ice, work of the devil. :D

Old Ned":1tucpxms said:
Russell":1tucpxms said:
scant":1tucpxms said:
its the UK in winter, get used to it ;)

Because the UK is notorious for its harsh snowy winters?

This is nowt, you young softies! Now, when I were a lad we had PROPER winters, I remember the one of '64 (or was it '65?? or '63??), anyhow, it were real cold and we had 20 foot of snow for 2 months. I had to take a shovel wi' me so I could dig through the drifts on me regular 250 mile training runs every evening after work. And all the rivers froze over, the ice were 10 foot thick in places. We didn't 'ave thermal clothing or over-shoes and all these nancy things around these days, we 'ad a string vest and an old pullover and a bobble 'at and all rode 63" fixed wi' 27" high pressure tyres on steel rims and a saddle bag wi' a few bricks in it. Pushing that lot kept yer warm I tell yer!

I'm off now, back ter me Radio Times and The Archers - proper entertainment!

I bet you had a a cardbord box though . . .

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo[/url]

Back