Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:12 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:13 pm 
Old School Grand Master

dek1165 wrote:
Had my Dekerf sprayed by them and probably wouldn't go there again.

monsterfatuk wrote:
i had a new seat tube and would never ever go there again

When you say "them" and "there" do you mean Mercian? I know Mercian's the builder in the thread title, but Argos, Colourtech, Eddison, Jackson, and others are all mentioned above in the thread, and it's not clear who you're replying to.

Interested, because my '56 Mercian will want an overhaul one of these days, and sending it home to Derby seems like the obvious choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:05 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Sorry, it was Mercian. Some area's of the paint are a bit thin, one of the drop outs is a bit of a mess and it chips bloody easily too. I thought the original paint was fragile......
On the flip side my mate had his Clockwork painted by Mercian and the results were good.
Still wouldn't go back though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:15 pm 
Retro Guru

i was also on about mercian sorry to confuse you,they had my yo to replace a seat tube it was done eventualy after about 3 months and for some reason they brazed in a seat clamp which obviously it didnt come with.The brazing cracked after 3 rides and had to be redone and the lady on the phone had never ever heard of a ral code :shock: Go to argos or one of the above :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:48 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

monsterfatuk wrote:
i was also on about mercian sorry to confuse you,they had my yo to replace a seat tube it was done eventualy after about 3 months and for some reason they brazed in a seat clamp which obviously it didnt come with.The brazing cracked after 3 rides and had to be redone and the lady on the phone had never ever heard of a ral code :shock: Go to argos or one of the above :wink:

Yes, but you should be grateful they worked on it at all. Sounds to me as though you took them one of those wierd modern Mowntane Bikes that have TIG welds and so forth. And the trouble with those is you never know where they've been, so you have to wear a clothes peg in your nose and so forth in case you catch something tropical off them. Can be nasty I've heard tell. And the trouble then is that with the clothes peg and so forth, you can't see the work properly and inevitably mistakes can happen in such trying circumstances as that and so forth. But it doesn't matter because of course all these wierd Mowntane Bikers are on drugs anyway, so they wouldn't know whether you'd repaired the frame or not and so forth. Best avoided really, usually tell them we don't do repairs to them TIG welds and we just do proper bikes and so forth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:56 pm 
Retro Guru

I did ask them when i collected it why didnt you tig it,should of seen the look i got from the bloke :evil: ,i also comented that they never said a word about not doing tig when i phoned up or dropped it of,all he said was --yyyeeaarr wweell wwee ddoonntt ddoo ttiigg wweellddiinngg,wwee oonnllyy ddoo bbrraazziinngg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:04 pm 
Retro Guru

Have dealt with Mercian a lot through work.They sprayed my forks up on the Ritchey Swisscross and put a longer steerer on.The results were good.I know there colour range isn't extensive.Someone wanted to create a Raleigh Pro-Race flouro green.Came back a Bianchi green! Customer was still happy.Workmanship on frame repairs have been spot on I.M.H.O
Thanx Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:14 am 
Retro Guru

clunker wrote:
Best to put it in a bike box and send it to Argos. Will cost more but will do a top class job.

I have an argos sprayed bike and I'm not overly impressed with the results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:04 pm 
Retro Guru

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions. There is a lot of info to take on board.
I don't think I'll be trying Mercian after all that.

Thanks to Roger P, Anthony and others for suggesting how to find a powder coater. I might give Hutchcoat a call. I don't think (crosses fingers) there should be a problem with my colour as it's just a standard Ferrari type red.

Roger P, can you possibly tell me how much they cost you? Also do you have any before and after pictures of their work?

I have some small dents n the swingarm that need filling, a cable guide needs re-attaching, a brake boss needs securing/welding and I would like to get the swing arm and shock spring painted, can anyone else suggest what this should cost?

Thanks a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:28 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Have a look at this lot:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33003&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=165

It is towards the bottom of the page, also on the next page.
If the pictures are not up to scratch or not clear enough for you, let me know and I will PM you the originals.

Hutchcoat did fill a slight dent, and because there is at least 2 coats of powder I cannot honestly see it.

The total job cost £80.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:08 pm 
Retro Guru

It looks excellent. Did you visit them or were you able to do everything over the phone/emails with pictures?

Finally, did they put the decals on and laquer over them or are they just over the top of the powder?

I think I will give them a go thanks for the help.