The Parkpre triplets...

Easy_Rider

Retrobike Rider
OWMTBC Champ
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
On the right, the Scepter Comp needing a good home, to big for me, but a lovely frame.

In the middle, the new addition to the family, a Pro825. quick clean up and there's an XT groupset waiting for it, i'm still undecided about the forks, i have some nice MAG21's, but the groupset is going to be M739 so I think Judy SL's might be better...

On the left another Pro825, had this many years. It has been stripped naked of it Ti plate lacquer because of some corrosion. Yellow patch is a bit of primer i was trying out to see how well it bonded, and the white/clearblob is epoxy resin for the dents, and then it's going pure white rigid SS. (p.s. don't ask about the seatube, i won't tell ;))

SNC12317.JPG

SNC12318.JPG

SNC12320.JPG

Very nice :cool: , I am experimenting with polishing a Team 925 frame, doing it by hand using Autosol brings up a lovely sheen but takes for ever. Let us know of your progress, am very interested in your results especially with paint and filler.

Because of the surface rust i decided to sand the whole frame.
I used 800 (to sand the rust out and rub off the lacquer) then 1500 paper, running all the paper perpendicular to the tubes. I tried a bit of metal polish after and it buffed up really well! Have a look at the downtube on the first picture (far left frame). I don't know why i bothered with the polish tbh, or even the 1500 paper, as i intend to paint it, i think i just wanted to see how well it came up.

I've taken progress pictures which i'll post in readers bikes when i get a bit further with it.

Is that your SS Team 925 your polishing? I thought that was in good nick, why would you strip it?

It is the SS I am looking at, it does suffer from surface rust around the usual places - back of seat tube where it joins the chain & seat stays, early days yet so will keep on experimenting.

We have some big developments ...

Stripped some the laquer using Nitromors, this also removes the brushed finish, beneath is the most glorious shiny chrome finish :cool: A quick whizz with a wire brush on a Dremel and the rust is gone :D a bit of Autosol and the result is stunning :D

I have emailed Ken Yamakoshi* (son of Cozy, Parkpre USA founder) and asked if he knows anything about the original Ti plated finish.

*hopefully the email address I have still works

Thanks for that info! I'll keep that in mind for a future restore of the pro825. Be quite interesting to know what the Ti plate finish was. I didn't realise the brush finish was also painted :? which throws my theory of a slightly coloured laquer away!

Nice frames :cool:

Does anyone have a short history on Parkpre? I remember them (and have I think been close to buying one once) but know absolutely nothing about them....

Still not heard back from Ken Yamakoshi, the email address I have is very old. I have done some research using my Parkpre Team 925 frame. It looks as if the plated finish has a brushed surface, maybe to give the lacquer a key? the lacquer is clear and not opaque. The plated finish can be polished smooth and to a high sheen with a bit of Autosol. Any rust spots can be removed using a Dremel or similar multi-tool using polishing compound and a buffing bit. Very pleased with the results, looks like a chrome finish :cool:

Back