12-28T or 12-32T 8-speed XTR cassette?

RockiMtn

Gold Trader
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
Got a set of XTR M910 wheelset and looking to get an XTR M900 cassette to go with it. Was wondering ratio cassette I should get? This is for my Cirrus that has a RF compact crankset. I think the my current old XT cassette is 12-32T.

Personally I go with a 12/28 8 spd cassette because I find the gear ratios good enough for the riding that I do. If you need an especially low gear because you've got steep hills around you then I'd go for the 12/32.

The 12/28 is lighter though and looks neater. ;)

yeah sounds good. think i'll grab myself a 12-28T. this nice set of wheels will prob only see road use. the other set of wheels with 12-32T will continue to be used off-roading so def will see more hill climbing.

Why not get the 11-28 cassette say the XT (M737) one instead, I'm not sure if you would need to spacer it on the M910 (parallax version of M900), but would give you a greater high end ratio.
It would also be in keeping with the age of the hub (1995, cassette 1994)

That's what I have on my M900 wheels at the moment (after three M900 cassettes fell apart*)

Since it's also for road use the higher gear will probably get used. (mine has a 48 couple to it at the front btw)

*these where all the mini chain-ring types, a later version had them riveted iirc

hmm, i already have a XT m737 wheelset on my Cirrus. so i guess it's already a 11-28T cassette??? now i gotta check.

i also have a XTR M900 rear with an 12-32T cassette on it i believe, and that's on the Blizzard.

i'm going to move the m737 wheelset to the Blizzard, move the XTR M900 for offroad use on the Cirrus cuz it has a beefier M261 rim, and has the 32T, and build up the M910 with matching XTR cassette since it's in very good condition for road use on the Cirrus.

marky mark":28ngelsv said:
i have a used but not knackered 12-18 xtr m900 i think.
Pm me if you want a price.

cheers
mark

that's 12-28 right? not 12-18! I think I might have a seller already but PM me a price. I'm guessing posting it will be an arm and a leg though since i'm guessing your in the UK and I'm in Canada.

[edit] so yeah i checked and i currently have an XT 11-28T cassette and a XTR 12-32T cassette.

i'll move the 11-28T to the blizzard with has a standard crankset for street use, and the 12-32T to the the cirrus with compact crankset for offroad use, and get a 12-28T as well for the cirrus for street use.

does that make sense?

No

Compact goes with 11 tooth

ATB Standard goes with 12 tooth

The reason they could 'go compact' was when they worked out how to get an 11tooth on the rear properly.

So get an 11-something for street use on the compact front.

Your riding style may vary but 44-12 is a crap gear, you may as well go single speed :LOL:

:( i just bought the 12-28T. why can't i use that with compact? i was hoping to move both XTR wheelsets to the Cirrus.

It's just that it's a bit low, you may tend to spin out - depending on the terrain where you live.
Personally I'd fit a road cassette if that's what the wheels are for. The smaller jumps are much nicer and you'll never need anything lower than a 23T cog on the back with a triple on the front unless you live on the side of a cliff.

Back