required steerer size for kona frames

Surfr

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've got a 93/94 Cindercone frame with a 150mm head tube and a Control Center headset. Sadly the P2 forks I bought on eBay look to be about 1cm too short in the steerer. the locknut type allenkey ring at the top of the headset is unable to reach any thread on the fork steerer, but the bottom section threads on fine. Is there a specific size that I need? The frame appears to measure 16" from BtoC.

Also, if anyone has a suitable P2 fork or alternative they might want to swap for my 150mm steerer, grey, canti mount threaded 1 1/8 version, then get in touch. I'd consider moving to ahead if it makes life easiier.

Judging from my own P2, a threaded steerer for a Kona + Impact should be 32mm (or so) longer than the head tube. I'm puzzled by it having a Control Centre headset incidentally, as I thought they were only fitted to the 1993 Explosif and Kilauea, never to the Cinder Cone.

It sounds as though you'll need to look for another P2, in which case I suggest you make sure of the age of the frame, as they were built for the longer 41cm (a-c) P2 from 1994 onwards. And the measurements you give are incompatible with it being a 93/4 frame. I could do with a more exact measurement of seat tube to be sure, but if it was a 93/4 with exactly 16" seat tube from centre of bb to centre of top tube, it would be a size 19 and it should have a 13cm head tube. It would also help to know what colour it is.

Thanks Anthony. The frame was purchased from letmetalktomark on here a few months ago. I also sourced the headset from here, hence the mismatch.

Here is the bike in it's previous build state.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

It had been repainted white possibly by KASE1983 or Jez-4-Bikes_Max who were both previous owners. The head tube is exactly 150mm, the seat tube is 395mm from centre of BB to middle of top tube or 470mm from centre of BB to seat clamp at top of tube. Measurements taken with a tailors measure with cranks attached so may be a few mm out but is that enough detail to help size the frame?

I've looked at that frame before and I have to say that it's a bit of a puzzle.

To the best of my knowledge, the seat tube measurements you give are those of a 1992 size 18.
From 1993 onwards, the size 18 seat tube was smaller than that and the size 19 seat tube was bigger than that
The angle of the top tube is that of a size 18.
A 1992 size 18 had a 13cm head tube and your head tube looks 13cm to me, but you've measured it and it's 15cm.
From 1993 onwards, the size 18 head tube was 11cm, the size 19 head tube was 13cm and the size 20 was 15cm
The dropouts are of the pattern used from 1994 until 1997.

One possible explanation could be that the rear end may have been repaired with new dropouts.

The serial number under the bb shell could help to tie down the year of the frame. Also the exact c-c top tube measure, along the tube.

I'm doubting my head tube measurement now. Maybe it was 13cm and the steerer of the fork, 15cm... back in a minute *grabs tape and heads to garage again*

:shock:

Erm. profuse apologies! The head tube is 11cm and the fork steerer about 13.5cm approx. I've no idea where 150m came from.

OK, not to worry, that means it's a size 18 from somewhere in the 1994 to 1996 period. Serial number could narrow it down.

You need a P2 of 41cm a-c length and with a 142mm steerer (or 185+ if ahead - 1997 onwards). I presume the one you've got must have been cut to fit some other frame, as 135mm seems an odd length.

Funnily enough I have a triple-butted threaded P2 for sale at the moment that came off a 1996 Explosif, but it has been sort of sold to somebody, although I haven't heard from him for a few days.

Got to go to work now but I've got loads of P2 forks most of them for 18" frames :)

I'll see exactly what I've got when I get home and get back to you ;)

I've got three that would fit :) I'll get some pics up tonight but I've got a glossy black pair, a gunmetal grey pair and a bronze pair ;)

I'll take some pics tonight for you :)

Jones":314tlbp0 said:
I've got three that would fit :) I'll get some pics up tonight but I've got a glossy black pair, a gunmetal grey pair and a bronze pair ;)

I'll take some pics tonight for you :)

Thanks Jones. Look forward to pics :D

Back