seatpost - how far in ?

daveaasmith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
The seatpost on my RC200 (see pics in my signature link) only has about 4" within the bike - is this too little?

Dave.

Pickle":vkser3rj said:
There should be a minimum mark on the seatpost, but 4" sounds ok.

Yeah, I expected a minimum mark, but nothing :? . Looks like the post was cut at some point.

I always make sure there is at least 1" of post below the seat/top tube junction

I would run with at least 6 inches, the leverage puts too much strain on the seat/top/stay junction and can cause cracking at the collar, always run a 400 post in an Aluminium frame, at least if bottle cage bosses allow!

MadCowKev":1igkuk3v said:
I always make sure there is at least 1" of post below the seat/top tube junction
Ditto kev. Regardless of what is on the post, the junction MUST be cleared. Except on Boulder Defiants where this is imposible, but you get the drift. .

elite504":2kt1s551 said:
MadCowKev":2kt1s551 said:
Ditto kev. Regardless of what is on the post, the junction MUST be cleared. Except on Boulder Defiants where this is imposible, but you get the drift. .
Thats still not enough, it WILL crack the seat tube top. The other point that is rarely mentioned is the depth of the seat collar clamp! Seperate clamps that are deeper in section and bolt up like Salsa(16mm) also help. The narrow Hope bolt up ones are too shallow and give little support, the Hope QR ones are fine tho being deeper.
Pace used a captive/integral clamp. So U need more post in the tube as the pressure around the post is uneven and more prone to Cracking
(like all Kleins) One inch below is just not enough and allows too much movement, U'll crack it defo!

Latest posts

Back