Removing rear canti brake bridge

Removing rear canti brake bridge

• Hear what you're saying. V's + Bridge looks bad.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do as you wish. Your frame.

• Are you mad?

• Total voters

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Have a mid-high end 1996 steel frame I'm (hopefully :roll: ) going to get refinished in the new year. Once redone I intend to run v-brakes. The frame has a canti bridge. Tempted to get it removed to make the frame look "cleaner". What do others reckon?

Not going to reveal the brand of frame.

"Are you mad?'' is put a bit strong (unless it is an Ibis Handjob ;) ), but I tend to leave it there. I would not bother about the looks and appreciate it is there if I would ever go back to cantis.

Depending the value and spec of frame, personally myself, it have got canti bridge on frame then use canti brakes but as you said you wished to run v-brakes then remove the canti bridge off the frame for a better and tidy look, otherwise it will looked odd.

John":nuwbynyp said:
scant":nuwbynyp said:
highly dependent on the frame

And the percieved value of said frame? hence me not specifying what it was....

yeh I guess thats part of it. as previously mentioned some frames have cool "feature" cable hangers & they're worth keeping. if its a non descript hanger, lop it off :)

Unless you think it'll seriously devalue the frame (which is only important if you'll ever sell it), then go for it. I took a grinder to my forks to chop the brake bosses off (got a front disc) and it looks so much cleaner. It's these little mods than make a bike unique to me.

Do you buy and sell much? Swap about? Does your retrobiking have to be financially viable? If no go for it if yes keep it.

Back