Ebay etiquette ??

hairstream

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I have a bunch of stuff up on ebay at the moment. There is one item that 19 people are watching. I have a starting price of 15 US. Someone is offering me 40 US to quit the auction and sell the item to them. Would it be lubricious to do such a thing. The auction has been running for one day.

Whatta ya all think? ;)

This is not spam. Nobody knows my eBay ID, so I think it's ok to open this discussion here??

Its your auction,
End it whenever you feel right bud, if you feel the offer to end it now is enough for the item you are selling do it, if on the otherhand you fancy your chances of getting more by letting it run, i would.
But as i said, its up to you...................... :cool:

GC

Thanks for the reply.

Here's my dilema... Sure the 40 bucks is better than I would settle for, or what I would pay a buddy for the item (30 - 35 dollars). The fact that I have 30 other items up right now (all vintage stuff) has me hesitating. It is vintage MTB folks who are watching all my stuff, if they see my auctions being halted, maybe they will think twice about bidding on one of my other items.

I guess I'm thinking about it too much. And, should the just get the most I can, hell be damned. Isn't that how it is done these days.

I can never settle on a price for any of my old parts and have a hard time pinning a price to something in the FOR SALE thread.

Why, just the other day somebody had a WANTED post that I replied to. I pm'd and the member was interested. I couldn't decide how much to charge so I said, "you tell me what you want to offer me." I sold it to them for what they offered. I though maybe in the future this member might be able to help me out with a needed part.

I am thinking that on eBay. Screw em. Huh?

I guess I'm just not cut out for the Vintage MTB game.

Sorry about rambling, I'm traveling for work and am in the middle of know-where and bored. :LOL:

hairstream":rcoxd5cx said:
Thanks for the reply.

Here's my dilema... Sure the 40 bucks is better than I would settle for, or what I would pay a buddy for the item (30 - 35 dollars). The fact that I have 30 other items up right now (all vintage stuff) has me hesitating. It is vintage MTB folks who are watching all my stuff, if they see my auctions being halted, maybe they will think twice about bidding on one of my other items.

I guess I'm thinking about it too much. And, should the just get the most I can, hell be damned. Isn't that how it is done these days.

I can never settle on a price for any of my old parts and have a hard time pinning a price to something in the FOR SALE thread.

Why, just the other day somebody had a WANTED post that I replied to. I pm'd and the member was interested. I couldn't decide how much to charge so I said, "you tell me what you want to offer me." I sold it to them for what they offered. I though maybe in the future this member might be able to help me out with a needed part.

I am thinking that on eBay. Screw em. Huh?

I guess I'm just not cut out for the Vintage MTB game.

Sorry about rambling, I'm traveling for work and am in the middle of know-where and bored. :LOL:
if i were you i wouldn't end the auction early. first of all it would be against my principles to take the other auction watchers the chance to step in. second thing is that i highly doubt the item will sell for less then 40 dollars if someone already offered you 40.
btw. i'd never let someone BIN my auctions behind the back but i'd surely do it on others auctions if they let me :D

Thanks for the input guys.

I went with my heart and told the guy I couldn't end the auction, that it wouldn't be fair, and all that.

I am not really interested in making the most money I can off of a certain part or doing something outside of my own comfort zone.

I guess it's my upbringing or something. Pretty sad, I guess.

Really shameful... I was practically begging the guy not to be pissed at me.

If it sells for half of the 40 offered I will still feel good about myself, though.

I know, I am a real sad case. :roll:

E-bay is about maximising your profit, if you want to be the good guy sell your bits on this site for reasonable prices.

E-bay and paypal will both take their piece of flesh for allowing you to use their services and the guy that offered you $40 is probably only offering you that because he thinks its worth $60.

I'm cynical where e-bay is concerned these days. :)

what is it?

Can you say what it is?Maybe someone on here can give a good estimate of value and put your mind at rest.

hairstream":17790r92 said:
Tioga Disk Drive. NOS.

for $40?!!!! :LOL: ... or did I miss something?

ebay is no guarentee of a higher price. however if you're clearing out & want to get rid regardless then most stuff sells.

Back