Slippy Grips

FSR-Si

Senior Retro Guru
Probably been asked a 1000 times over but its a first for me so here goes...

I'm just in the process of rebuilding my FSR and ive fitted some straight bars that have a pitted/mottled/bumpy paint finish on them, Now when ive come to fitting the grips the hairspray trick doesn't work so i'm stuck or rather not on how how to keep them on.

Any help greatly appreciated, Ta

a tip I was given was to fit grips with wd40, it reacts slightly with the plastic to cause it to bond with the bar. but not enough to mess them up.

I wouldn't try it with clear grips though.

I've found wrapping with electrical tape once and then over again on each end of bar where grip sits does the trick.
A bit of a fight to get the grips over it, but they don't move :)
That's two wraps int it, I'm a numpty :oops:

to totally eliminate this problem you can wrap double sided round your bars then try your hairspray to make it slippy, when it dries it should grip up amazingly.

3in1 oil is damn good, it causes the grips to stick is minutes, the grip material must absorb the grips or something, never had a prob with slippy grips, using that stuff (apart from if there are foam)

I guess the 3in1 and wd40 is the same thing that causes baby oil to rot condoms and cause unwanted side effects :) ....3 kids later ;)

I know its probably not the answer you're looking for, but ODI lock-on Ruffians will eliminate your need for other grips...forever.

[not a retro solution though]. For everything else, WD-40 is what I use.

Renthal grip glue. You'll find it on ebay no problem, one tube should last you years.

ameybrook":u4syn9ps said:
I know its probably not the answer you're looking for, but ODI lock-on Ruffians will eliminate your need for other grips...forever.

Best grips ever.
Have them on all bikes.

I' not going to poo poo anything I actually haven't tried but anything "lube" related certainly set the alarm bells a ringing!! And relying on a condom breaking chemical reaction that may not occur isn't for me.

Clean bars and clean grips, a quick spray of 80's spec "Insette" big hair big hold hairspray slide grips on and leave for a while. Jobs a good un!!

Never failed me although the can of Insette may need relpacing sometime mid 2010. On the look out for some NOS tins. (Maybe banned by now as it was Evo Stick for hair and also spelled the demise for many low level solvent abusers!!!!)

Jim

Back