Square taper BB's

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Whats your recommendations? Combining quality, reliabilty, weight, price, etc Are Ti ones squeaky?

Personally, I think they're all pretty good, and you shouldn't spend too long searching for the perfect one.
The Shimano ones work brilliantly, and at the price they cost it's hardly going to ruin you when they wear out.

holden":3m72zs3n said:
Given the combo, Shimano UN7x series, then Shimano UN9x.

I know they're legendary, but i can't quite get to grips with throwing so much away each time! If only they were rebuildable generally, i know one or two xtr's were from reading on here.

Do Shimano still make UN7x? They don't seem to be listed any more by most retailers.

Or is it just (as usual) that the importers aren't bringing them in? I always love the huge range of 7s cassettes available on roseversand.de

UN7* bbs are still made - just not imported into the UK.

Always rankled with me throwing BBs away, which is why I bought a Race Face Taperlock (alas discontinued and has been for some time).

Phil Wood BBs come well recommended by several folk, no experience of them myself. Not sure how they compare with Royce BBs price wise.

Had my RaceFace Taperlock (steel axle) for 8 years now & still runnning smoothly. Just get's swapped from bike to bike with the Double Barrel cranks.

Lots of nice units out there. You can't really go wrong with a UN70/71/72, UN90/91 etc. With replaceable bearings TA are nice, as are WTB Greaseguard, if you can find one. WTB also have adjustable chainline, which can be a nice feature for a singlespeed or if chainring clearance is tight.

The only ones I haven't really got on with are the FSA Ti models - just too flexy for my weight.

ernestrome":11e0t4yf said:
I know they're legendary, but i can't quite get to grips with throwing so much away each time! If only they were rebuildable generally, i know one or two xtr's were from reading on here.
Only the M950 (and the Dura Ace 7700), as far as I know.

On a French forum I read a post from a chap who fits his UN72s with a grease port. He reckons it can extend the life by a factor of two.

Back