shogun cycles

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Anyone have info on this brand.

Recall they did some ok stuff late 80s early 90s. Then some real tat appeared under the shogun name late 90s. Now owned by Falcon.

Had one of the 'team issue' bikes (prarie breaker) for a few months. Not too bad other than the slightly bent frame.

I remember building endless 'Trailbreakers' with 300LX as a 14 year old saturday boy in Graham Hix Cycles circa 1988. Paid for my Rockhopper though :D

had a 'prairie breaker team' right around 1990...prestige steel, triple-triangle design, full 7s XT, black w/silver splatter. very nice ride! wish i still had it...

My recallection of Shogun was good, but not great.
I do think that John is on the money. By the mid 90's, they were shite. Look for the early ones with the 'sort of' triple triangle thing going on aroung the seat tube cluster. Seat stays joining the seat tube higher than than the top tube.
(edit: just noticed 111, I got a Nelson going on!!)

i had one i paid 875 quid from mountain tamers .spent a whole wedge changing the wheels ect.it came with rm 400 proo rims on xt hubs.xt everything cept chainset and headset.it was later stoved white then it got stolen (tossers).......very light bike....oh it also came with an xt seatpost which i really liked.when the box arrived i thought it was empty cos it barely wheighed anything...heres a piccie from the early days...

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 2,123
Thats a nice looking bike (pink grips aside ;) )

God, look at the travel on them forks! :shock: :LOL:

Prairie breaker Pro

I had a PRAIRIE BREAKER PRO in 90-91 full DX and loads of TIOGA kit.

I actually really liked it, alot!

It got nicked :(

yup a whole 3 quarters of an inch travel...by god they were light though,,,,i changed the jockies to purple ones and the wheels to 231cds with custom built hubs by a local guy who made carbon centers and blue flanges.....the saddle was swapped for a vetta tt and a gold use seatpost,all bolts were ti jobbies with xlite brake bolts with red jackets.later i snapped the revolver crank side arm sprinting over a bridge,tioga replaced this foc ......i also had custom graphics made after the bike was stoved pure white....i put radial spokes on the front and snowflake jobbies on the back.....still miss that bike even tho tyre clearance was dubious over 1.95s.the grips were swapped for yetis in yellow later as the pink ones died (all that sweat)the gt flip flop had a click that i culd not get rid of ...drove me mad.......

ps thanks pickle that compliment made my day. :p
p-ps i should add this was the team issue model ....lovely bike to ride that was sniffle...theiving scum stole it on a sunday in summer when i was right next to it.all i went home with was the speedo which i had just taken off .i had to report the bike stolen in full racing gear.when asked how much it cost i said 1600 quid which was about what i had spent extra.he thought i was kidding ho hum.still as it turns out having your gfs dad as the claim assesor helps a lot as within a week i had a chez for 1500 quid.this is how i got the sannie frame.at the time i stil wanted my shogun back cos of all the work and time i put in ...bygones ect :shock:

Gibblekings right about those forks 3/4" travel and extremely light, put many rigid forks to shame. Mind you not much better than rigid forks in that the elastomer suspension did so without springs and often would not react to anything less than hitting a large brick :shock:

Also suffered from stiction alot !

Had a bike from the same stable as latterday shoguns once, Viking Targa it was. Frame was well put together but alas not the rest of the bike, have learnt to avoid cheap and cheerful like shoguns since.

Back