Yes, we can have too many bikes!

nporternz

Gold Trader
Marin Fan
Feedback
View
Until this morning I would have never said I could have too many bikes!!!

I have 9 bikes with another on the way and my partner has her road and mountainbike.

My sister in law has come up for Christmas and they have a lovely little 2 year old girl who loves being outside. Unfortunately her bike broke and would cost $200 to fix which they just dont have at the moment.

This made me realise that I have bikes I dont ride at all and bikes I ride very occassionally. It didnt take me too long to offer her one of mine to have so they can get back out on the trails....

She is now the proud owner of a 1995 Scott Racing Team CST and I am fitting a bike seat for the nipper tomorrow so they can get back out and have fun.

So I think I wont be complaining I dont have enough bikes anymore - after all I can only ride one at a time!!!!

Current bike count is 6 plus 2 unbuilt frames, only had 2 until I discovered RB. You guys! :LOL:

Oh for an unbuilt frame.....

Ahem.. I have one on the way.

Only problem is - I already have the kit to put on it so new figure is

My 11 bikes (built) plus one that's really work's property but still takes up space. (12)
My wife's 2 shoppers and her road bike (3)
Plus 2 new kids MTBs
And the 2 MTBs they grew out of....

That makes us a 19 bike family

That is too much. One of the shoppers and the 2 kids MTBs have to go.

Can only blame retrobike for the latest acquisition though. All the others predate me finding this place.

I think the ideal collection is one where you have a bike for every style of riding that you do, at the moment i have (not all rideable though) a geared rigid steel, front suspension geared steel, single speed rigid alloy, full susser and a GQ pamper bike that will see very little use.

I'm still after a road bike and a cheap (maybe modern) hack/commuter bike, that'll take my collection up to seven :roll: , all would see some sort of use though.

jimihendrix":33cyfxfi said:
I think the ideal collection is one where you have a bike for every style of riding that you do.

Yup, plus maybe one or two 'collectables' :)

Russell":1dudvuv2 said:
jimihendrix":1dudvuv2 said:
I think the ideal collection is one where you have a bike for every style of riding that you do.

Yup, plus maybe one or two 'collectables' :)

Nearly, best to have a good road bike and a bad road bike for winter :)
You can always niche up your rides for more bikes too..
- DH bike for France etc
- Medium susser for trailcentres and things
- Short travel susser for racing on suitable courses
- Moderate hardtail for local trails
- Racerboy hardtail for racing
- Rigid for fast blasts
- SS just for those right times
etc..

Then in the collectables..
Theres the proper old and collectable
The NOS build
The daily rider
The special event rider
The means a lot to me bike
The wtf did I buy that bike
The project that never finishes
The early build you really need to rework
The replica build
etc...

Then theres the family bikes..
Wifes bike
Kids new bikes
Kids old bikes
Bike you are keeping for other family members but is still too big
etc

When is too many?? :LOL:

i agree, i was trying to point out the fact that we are lucky enough to have 1 bike never ming 11, 19 or 30!!!

1 for winter mud: GT Talera

1 for winter road: ?

1 summer semi garage queen: GT Zaskar

1 Garage queen: Airborne Black Widow (It never gets ridden!)

1 for dry/ summer road: Peugeot Competion 3000

So, there is clearly room for one more road project.

I think we're losing the essence of this post a bit, because of the title I guess.

Kudos to nporternz who made someone happy, fitting with the spirit of the season I say. I have too many bikes, period. But prior to reading this post I was trawling e-bay looking for bargains. That's a rather sobering contrast to helping someone out in these tough times ....

i love having loads to choose from, and most get used regularly, here's their uses! (and current state of build)

aluminium O , at bob jackson's being painted for nice summer retro build for dry weather!

retro clockwork, mostly NOS build rarely ridden in the winter steel beauty!

c16r, 2nd choice for winter riding and spare for my mate adam to ride

kona, 1st choice for winter riding

07 clockwork, used more in the summer for longer new forest flatter rides and fast rides and occasional races

08 st4, used for trail centres/french riding and fun riding

lime crosswork, for easy road work and being able to change my mind half way through and hit mud! :D the bike for when i'm undecided what i want to do!

dynamo, was my main roadbike but descending in the alps meant i wanted a road bike with 1 1/8 headtube so is now 2nd choice but retro road beauty, nice weather retro bike

condor, new road bike and a bit bling 1st choice for road

cougar, almost got all the bits ready to finish build, winter trainer and turbo trainer bike

fausto coppi, will be being built again for display/collector style

offroad proflex, awaiting paint and some parts to build, just for sake of it coz i got it cheap build! retro full suss!

no name road build,frame and fork and a few bits so far, a long term project to build a very mountain bike brand and style road bike, the idea being to use loads of "frowned upon by traditional roadies" parts just to annoy them if i turn up at a local tt for a spin! also awaiting paint but colours chosen

is that enough bikes?

simple answer is no! :LOL:

i still want a more specific alps bike, maybe the alpine160 from orange, also i'd love a full on tt bike, not that i couldn't do with training more before i deserve a dedicated tt bike! but i've always loved them, i always think they represent the most technology in roadbikes. oh and i want an aquafade yo eddy at some point to just because!

i feel i have a specific use for all my bikes, some have cross over ability but i can justify them all to myself! i've been lucky that i have built this collection over the years and tried my best to save to get the new one each time or taken advantage of a cheap price when i could. i always try to get the next one witout sacrificing another one aswel.

:D :D :D i love my bikes! :D :D :D

Back