7/8 speed......thoughts?

Pickle

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Been mulling over this today......and I cant decide now decide on going the whole singlespeed hog, or doing this :?

To 'ease' me in to having a lack of gears, any thoughts on just having 7 or 8 speeds? Less weight, less to go wrong, but still a few speeds to go at.

Makes sense to me, but open to discussion and comments ;)

I 'big ringed' it for years with a 53t - 32-11 combo with a Ging chain tensioner/ guide

Loooooong chain though.

All or nothing I say.

Keep all 21/24 or ditch the lot :xmas-cool:

John":31hxf2yc said:
All or nothing I say.

I did think this, but then remembered Secret Service agent Ed's Vit-T is running 8 speed, and thought it may be a good idea :?

Pickle":1rx1ayzv said:
John":1rx1ayzv said:
All or nothing I say.

I did think this, but then remembered Secret Service agent Ed's Vit-T is running 8 speed, and thought it may be a good idea :?

assume you mean 1 x 8 ?

John":38x8id4q said:
assume you mean 1 x 8 ?

Yup, like this:

vit_t_botm_117.jpg

I'm currently pondering the same thing

My BSX modern had 8 road gears 12-25, and not a lot of point on that heavy heap, so gone single

My FSer will have 8 proper MTB gears on, prob.

Got 21 on my "for old times sakes" retro

But the raliegh which will be my light retro XCer for riding up and across hills. I wanted to go single originally, but after getting a short cage XT mech I'm keen on going 1x7 or 2x7 with carefully chosen 'middle' and inner teeth or 2x7 with a non ramped 'middle' ring,

All ideas but shall be deciding on one of these. :D

if you're riding even vaguely rough or fast trails 1 x 8 can never seem to keep the chain on the front chainring IMHO
so yeh as per john, singlespeed or fully geared.

Back