Hope hub failures anyone??

choppstar10

Dirt Disciple
I was thinking about buying some old hope hubs, around the 95/96 vintage as thats what I used to have BITD. But then I had a flash back to what happened to my old ti-glide..when was riding, I peddled I managed to rip a couple of spokes out of the drive side flange, the alloy just completely failed and I had to ride home with a badly bent wheel and no brakes.

Now taking into account alloy fatigue and the age of the hubs, I would imagine this would just get worse right?? Has anyone else had any snappages or is it just me who should lay off the pies...?

Discuss.

I had a Ti Glide crack across 3 spoke holes on the drive side (and lost a large chunk of the flange), it was on my commuter that never went off-road so I wasn’t real impressed with their quality.

On a Hope HG I had the serated part that the 3 ratchets click into break free. Hub was over 10 years old though. Hope offered to sell me a pro HG hub for £60 as a good will gesture.

Heard plenty of horror stories about hope hubs.

That said have ridden two sets (ti glide rear and ti glide rear/ radial front) accross countless 1000s of miles on two bikes. One set were on the road bike and laced radially. No problems yet!

I've run hope hubs on all of my bikes for twelve years or so. I've only ever had one fail on the drive side flange. Hope repaired it when it was over four years old and replaced the failed flange with a later beefed up flange.
I've also had a Ringle Super bubba fail in the same manner.
Spoke tension, or rather incorrect spoke tension is a key factor in flange failure. Too little tension and stress is localised. Too much and the flange is loaded up to fail when more force than normal is tranfered to the flange during a impact. Under correct tension the load will be uniform and shared equely between all drillings and both flanges.
I'd have no reservations in buying them second hand. For every twenty reported failures there will still be another hundred hubs in existance working fine that you don't hear about.

The the three piece hub bodies had a problem with the alloy flanges cracking where they were pressed onto the Ti centre section.
Although I've never had a flange crack at the spoke holes, I've had probably half a dozen fail in this manner.

You could probably ride on them for 1000's a miles like it, but I'd rather not risk it.

They're still my first choice of hub mind. ;)

Funnily enough, a colleague at work has his front flange go this morning on the way to work! Only about 5 years old, but had plenty of use. It just went while he was pulling away from traffic lights.
Hope said send it back and they'll replace it.

warranty is difficult ground. yeh they made a mistake in the design, but unlike a lot of companies at least they'll being cool about it. personally I think its massively cool of Hope to help out with any kind of warranty over extended time periods.

Carlos":3vk66sh9 said:
Funnily enough, a colleague at work has his front flange go this morning on the way to work! Only about 5 years old, but had plenty of use. It just went while he was pulling away from traffic lights.
Hope said send it back and they'll replace it.

Got to be one of the worse things possible.....front flange failure :LOL:

Latest posts

Back