XT front mech sticking.

geetee61

Senior Retro Guru
Guys, after changing from an XT hollowtech ll crankset to an FSA powerpro set, my XT f/mech refused to shift onto the granny ring, middle and outer were fine but would only shift to the granny if I gave it a tap to help it along!Consulted my LBS and was advised to change the mech and that the prob was wear and tear blah blah blah.Got the bike back this morning with new XT mech and cable plus the old mech and I can't see any real signs or wear, no play in the spring and it's still nice and tight? Is it worh keeping this mech as I intend to use the XT c/set on my next project and the mech has worked fine with it for the last 2 years. Thanks for your help, all replies appreciated. GAZ. :D

leave it soaking in WD40 or similar - grit gets in the pivots and slows the mech when shifting. You will need to wiggle it through its shifting - backwards forwards to get the oil in and the grit out. Takes a while but eventually you are rewarded with a functioning der.. derri... dera...

mech.

You did check the min/max adjuster where not causing the problems (say if the inner ring was now closer to the frame)
Purely a, just in case, smack the head post. As I've known it happen, lol.

P.S. What band size, model and is it for sale :LOL: .

I had the same problem when I upgraded my chainset years and years ago. Couldn't get my head round it so took it to my local bikeshop. They told me I had the wrong length of bottom bracket axle and effectively laughed me out of the store. It was caused by going from standard cranks to low profile ones. The front mech wasn't physically able to get far enough from the seat tube.

Incidentally, I went back to the same bike shop around twelve years later to see if they had spares for my headset. I was treated in pretty much the same way by the same bloke. Never did understand the attitude you get in some supposedly swanky shops. They've now gone out of business.

Anyway. Most likely the stops need adjusting or the axle length is wrong.

I had similar problem after building up a new frame, mech was working fine and couldn't get any more adjusment on the lower stop (had loads on the big ring) only way out was to fit a 2.5mm spacer behind the bottom bracket on the drive side. It now shifts smoothly on all three rings.
Might not be the same problem that you have.... but possible.

I just re-read this thinking I hadn't already answered, lol.

But ignore mine and above as you say it works now with new mech, and the old just needed a tap.

Yep clean it and use it on the new build.

Back