The contemporary value of 'retro'...

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider

Attachments

• 1873.00 + postage.JPG
    1873.00 + postage.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 1,417
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
for a start , very good auction , plenty of details on shipping , lots of photos and explanations .

I would say good value .

mrkawasaki":1s0396ub said:
Does this mint Ritchey P-23 represent good, fair or poor value in 2008 - discuss?
why not? its in VERY good condition, ritchey is sought after (see VRC) and it looks good.

its a very important bike in terms of MTB history........... but for that money personally id be looking to buy an adroit !!! ;)
its like anything on e-bay.......... its worth what 2 people will bid for it !!
waaaaayyyyyyy overpriced for me .

:shock:

Well in terms of a fair price, its worth what is was sold for, that's what the market dictates and 14 bidders decided that.

In terms of pure value, removing the "retro" aspect out of it then it is very poor value considering what other bikes can be bought for the same money

A 2008 Mazda 6 beats a 1968 Jaguar E-Type in every respect.

E-type - up to £45,000

Mazda 6 drops about £9K as you turn the key.

This sort of thing is everywhere. That Ritchey is worth exactly what those two final bidders went for. Tomorrow, if another Ritchey was for sale, it would probably get nowhere near the same price.

legrandefromage":2embhcfa said:

Most of that £9k is taxes and VAT which you don't pay on a second hand car.
Incidently, you do pay tax on second hand cars in Spain, found this out when i lived there. Bit off topic.

if you 'value' owning a mint condition piece of MTB history, and you have plenty of money then yes.

Easy_Rider":go9yfi2i said:
legrandefromage":go9yfi2i said:

Most of that £9k is taxes and VAT which you don't pay on a second hand car.
Incidently, you do pay tax on second hand cars in Spain, found this out when i lived there. Bit off topic.

Here you pay 3% VAT on the profit from a SH car bought from a dealer.

:roll:

Anyway! I never mentioned VAT - I'm talking about the intrinsic value of something. Two people want something desparately enough, and they have the funds, the price will be high..

You could spend £300 on some disk equipped bike that will do everything, it just wont have that 'thing' that links the E-Type to a Ritchey to a Dodge Charger to a Yo Eddy to a Leak TL12 to a Colnago Master and on and on.

The 'thing' that makes us wince when we pay over the odds and smile when we get a bargain.

Back