New bikes, old names

gump

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Have not really paid much attention to the latest model bikes around, I have some newer bikes, but tend to have bought things I like rather than scout about all bikes etc.

So, just went and had a look at the 2009 Rocky Mountains after seeing a gopping blue 09 Blizzard on the bay.

Prolly common knowledge, but they have brought back the Altitude, one of my favourite bikes! :D

Only it wasn't. It was different in many ways. Not good ways.

http://www.bikes.com/main+en+01_102+ALT ... BIKE=542#2

What a monstrosity. Although its absolutely minging, they have at least managed to equip it with top level deore :roll:

Cashing in on a name? Recycling a name rather than think of new? I don't know why.

I know it shouldn't make a difference, but things like this spoil an image for me. Same as the new Kona HeiHei.

This got me wondering how many other names have been recycled - any thoughts?
Any idea why?

Personally can't wait to see what they do with a Suzi Q.....

i quite like it actually, and yeh it has deore but its the bottom of the range they go way up from there... i bet it rides perfect for what it's designed for...

dirtjumper_dmr":aem9ix4j said:
i quite like it actually, and yeh it has deore but its the bottom of the range they go way up from there... i bet it rides perfect for what it's designed for...

I know its bottom of the range..that was my point. The Altitude was a premium bike.

Its just so different to the bike that was.

oohhh.

that is a pig in a poke.

Other badly reused names which spring to mind are
GT Avalanche (now a Halfords special)
Kona Hei Hei (available in a 29" wheel)

That is bloody awful! That downtube reminds me of an old moped!

moped.jpg

RM

Not the same name used to be Attitude, but thats an Altitude? It looks pretty awful and bet it weighs an absolute ton too!

Back