biopace - who's still got it!

Old Fisher

Old School Hero
A mate showed me his new bike (new to him) which was an early noughties Trek and the first thing he spotted when comparing with my '90 Fisher was my biopace. Something, despite my sig's nod to old Minty, I had just paid little attention too.

Anyone else still riding with biopace or am I alone on that one?!

Yes, still got it on my Pioneer. It will be staying that way following the renovation as that is how it came originally.

I know some people have a real problem with it (or maybe just Shimano in general) but I've ridden with it for so long, that now, round rings feel odd to me :?

Christophe Sauser (ex Parkpre rider BTW ;) ) is testing something similar to bio-pace for next season

I will never have Biopace again.

I once fitted a new rear wheel with nice freehub and was very pleased with myself. I held the chainstay with my hand very close to the chainring but still with about 1cm clearance and gave an almighty swing on the crank with my otherhand to see what the freehub sounded like. I didn`t notice the sound of the freehub as I was screaming in agony when one of the teeth on the biopace ring went straight through my thumbnail as obviously the chainring clearance from my hand varied as the crank went round. :oops: :oops:

I've got a 105 road double that came of an early 90's Carrera (the Halfords one!) which I might try to use some time.

The thought of Biopace rings and early rear suspension being used together is almost making me feel seasick :( :oops:

explosif_fan":2jk6f96f said:
I will never have Biopace again.

I once fitted a new rear wheel with nice freehub and was very pleased with myself. I held the chainstay with my hand very close to the chainring but still with about 1cm clearance and gave an almighty swing on the crank with my otherhand to see what the freehub sounded like. I didn`t notice the sound of the freehub as I was screaming in agony when one of the teeth on the biopace ring went straight through my thumbnail as obviously the chainring clearance from my hand varied as the crank went round. :oops: :oops:

I feel even more sick now! :oops: :oops:

I like them, have them on my PACE, Saracen and on Mrs S's Specialized. Has anyone tried mounting them at 90 deg from normal?

Back