Help? Hub spacing on a dyna-tech frame?

chaser

Senior Retro Guru
Hello! Help!!

I am having a real problem sourcing a decent hub for my Dyna-Tech frame. [mine is the one with the wishbone stays, not bolted type] :?

The hub spacing seems to be 130mm which is really unusual for an MTB.

Is this usual for a Dyna-tech frame or have I measured wrong - I measured the gap from the inside edge, dropout to dropout.

Has anyone used an 8sp road hub with 130mm spacing with a 7sp set up.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Chaser.

130mm spacing is not at all unusual on older (say roughly pre-1990) MTBs. inside dropout to dropout is correct. if you can rule out that the rear end is deformed it's probably meant to be 130mm. i admit that i don't know anything about the Dyna-Tech but if it is a steel frame you probably can cold-set the spacing to 135mm.

road hubs work just fine and were commonly used back then. but 130mm MTB hubs are not too difficult to find either. XT M732 hubs are frequently on ebay.

carsten

chaser":1uxs91z0 said:
Hello! Help!!

I am having a real problem sourcing a decent hub for my Dyna-Tech frame. [mine is the one with the wishbone stays, not bolted type] :?

The hub spacing seems to be 130mm which is really unusual for an MTB.

Is this usual for a Dyna-tech frame or have I measured wrong - I measured the gap from the inside edge, dropout to dropout.

Has anyone used an 8sp road hub with 130mm spacing with a 7sp set up.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Chaser.

Thanks for reply.

The frame looks 100% so I think it was meant to be a 130mm.

I have seen a few FH M732's but none 130mm so far.

Thinking of maybe using a NOS 8sp Dura Ace and using the 'invisble' last click on XT thunbshifters.

I have seen a few Campag Record 8sp hubs too, are these ok with Shimano cassette?

Do you think this would be a good way to go?

Cheers,

Chaser.

i had a 1992 dynatech and it seemed happy with either a 130 or a 135 hub, taking one or the other more easily on different days of the week. odd.

Very odd indeed! :?

I think I will stay with 130mm as this seems to be the static measurement at the moment - maybe it will develop an appitite for 135mm in the future :D

Anyway, now I found out how to turn a NOS M730 early XT 6sp UG hub into a 7sp HG one I am happy ;)

Chaser

chaser":wb74tbs8 said:
Thinking of maybe using a NOS 8sp Dura Ace and using the 'invisble' last click on XT thunbshifters.

I have seen a few Campag Record 8sp hubs too, are these ok with Shimano cassette?

Do you think this would be a good way to go?

Cheers,

Chaser.

I'll answer the last question first.
"No".

Second question second
Record 8spd hubs are lovely - but you won't be able to get many size cassettes. You can't use Shimano cassettes. Campag 8spd spacing is same as Shimano 7 so as will work very well with 7 spd XT thumbie, theoretically better than Shimano 8spd would in fact.

First question last
If you can get it to work, fine. But don't expect it to. 7400 series Dura-ace mechs are only officially compatible with 7400 series shifters/STis. Cable pull amount is different to all other Shimano components.

If I were you I'd find a 600, 105-6 or RX100 rear mech if I was going the road mech way.

Thanks for your 'words of wisdom' dbmtb.

I thi nk I have sorted it now that i have sussed that I can get a nos XT 6sp UG with 130mm spacing and just change the freehub for a 7sp HG.

This way I can keep the hubs matching front and rear - and not take any chances with shifting if I use XT Thummies.

;)

Chaser

i guess you meant using a DuraAce 8spd hub, not the rear der right?

the DA hub would work, would accept an 8spd MTB cassette and would work well with any Shimano MTB rear der and the 7spd XT thumbies.

how well the thumbies shift has nothing to do with the hub, just with the cog spacing and the rear der. it helps if the rear der has a floating top pulley as the 7spd and 8spd spacing are not exactly the same (5.0mm on 7spd and 4.8mm on 8spd) and the floating pulley equals that out.

Carsten

Back