Seeing your babies grow up

mattbrown

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Does seeing another retrobiker with one of your old steeds, enjoying their new buy make you feel proud?????

DMR_Dirtjumper has my old Karakoram, and when i see he is liking the ride, it makes me feel, its gone to a good home?

....or am i just sad :oops:

no, not sad, when i sold my kona i was chuffed it went to someone i knew was gonna take care of it (he did such a good job i got it back 12 years later! :D )

i interview people to buy my bikes (not that they'd know it) if i don't like them i'll deliberately price it out of their budget.

One of my good friends owned my white EWR for a few years while I was in a small apartment and had room for only one bike. He had coveted the frame since I got it, so I knew that when the time came for me to move on I'd send it his way. The only instructions he got from me were, that when he was done with it, it would come back to me. Then some 3 or so years later, he'd met a girl and the number of bikes he was allowed to own went down and by then I had purchased a house, so the EWR came back home.

Of course, his instructions were very similar to mine...that he be given the right of first refusal in case I ever decided to part with it for good.

Since then we've both purchased new EWRs, and still the original EWR isn't going anywhere.

Strangely though, I never felt good about parting with the frame even though I knew it would one day be back, nor that my buddy would treat it well. Soon after delivering the frame to my buddy, my baby sprouted a Marzocchi QR20 fork and Berzerker saddles and Azonic bars and Crupi platform pedals and all sorts of other weird parts that were completely alien to me. Ugly stuff. I knew I'd never sell a bike I really liked again.

I'm going to ask to be cremated with the EWR. :D

I have just got dirtjumpers old Terratrax so that he could get your Karakoram. Great recyclers arent we. ;)

I saw my old orange 02 on the real ale wobble.... it looked mighty fine!

It certainly did well too, It was meant to be its last ride before retirement but the retro force is strong in that old girl and im really tempted to keep her going with what I have kicking around rather than her rotting in some corner ... if the crack didnt move after the wobble and my mate (nutter) on it I dont think there is a problem :D

Back