Snow riding

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Been out today?

I've found that snow/ice is worse than mud for clogging :shock:

Very cold, very wet, very fun - Plus didn't need to clean bike afterwards ;)

Note home made rear snow/ice guard :oops: ;)

P1010006-4.jpg

P1010007-2.jpg

P1010008-1.jpg

Now tell me about frostbite and its signs :shock:

M

:LOL:

Nice!
Its just freezing and wet here :(

You know its cold when you have to stop, take off your shoes and socks to warm your feet up :shock:

As I seem to still not have a bike built up to use :oops: I just built snow castles in the garden using plant pots.

P.S. I though that we are suppose to ride RetroBikes in here :shock:

I've just got back from 2.5 hours of sledging with the kids, fantastic weather and loads of snow, my 3 year old was on his snow bike ...and so was I when he let me :)

38044snowhoglarge.jpg

FluffyChicken":1ctoed7c said:
P.S. I though that we are suppose to ride RetroBikes in here :shock:

The rest of my bikes are retro (this one has retro parts! ;) (and a future classic if you ask me))

To be honest a retro HT wouldn't have managed the ride today, trail frozen solid and lots of rocks and roots hidden under the snow waiting to surprise you. I got catapulted off a couple of times today, even with 7" travel... :shock:

It's fantastic stuff.
Especially if there's no ice with it. The usual trails can still be ridden surprisingly.
Although, I think the best is when you get a layer of ice on sand and then a covering of snow. Obviously it helps if you're near the beach. It enables you the rare opportunity of riding sand dune trails that are normally impossible.

These were taken a while ago up on the tops in the Gisburn forest. It was quite a surprise really as it was just cold and wet in the lowlands.

snow_001.jpg

snow_003.jpg

snow_004.jpg

And, yes, they are Porcs as well!!

They where fine BITD (early 90's) when I used to ride them in the snow ;-). Surely snow cannot have advanced that much in that time :LOL:

Mind people seem to be digging up the countryside and forests to make bike tracks look like BMX tracks and such (and so destroying the forests and countryside for everyone else.)
If the fools didn't by 6" Full Sus travel bikes then they wouldn't need to spoil the place for the rest of us just to get thrill, take your suspension off and it'll soon be bumpy enough on normal tracks .
Dolby forest has done this and lots of people I know have stopped going there now, also Wharncliffe is another place near me going that way and I'm sure there are more. Can't they just leave the places alone. I'd shoot the people in charge of doing this.
/rant off :x

Sorry got side tracked there and had nothing to do with snow, this thread or what you said.

FluffyChicken":14c1wnsv said:
Sorry got side tracked there and had nothing to do with snow, this thread or what you said.

No worries. It's not the snow that's the problem, it's under the snow, most of the trails I ride look like this:

Anyways... back to snow pictures :LOL:

Attachments

• rootsandculture.jpg
    rootsandculture.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,352
Back