In a dreadful pickle with my GT

Tad

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hello hello,

I need to build up my old shed of a 1990 Timberline into a commuter. I've been confounded by the seat post! IT'S STUCK! Steel frame alloy post. I've tried heating the frame, cooling the post, soaking it with plusgas through the BB and top for a few days, slightly prising the clamp appart and swearing at it. It's still jammed. Anything else I can try before I resort to a hacksaw?

If the hacksaw is the only option does anyone know what size the post is? (You can add one of those to my wants list too.)

Before anyone says it I know the easiest way of getting it out is to grease it before you put it in :oops:

Cheers.

terryhfs":21hizsjx said:
Coca-Cola, followed by clamping the seat tube into a vice and turning the frame.

This would be my suggestion too

I'll give it a go.

Makes sense though if it dissolves teeth as quickly as it does it'll make mince meat out of a seat post!

if its a steel frame 22.2 , 25.4 or 27.2

do you want to keep the post , if not id clamp a quill stem to it ( bar clamp end ) and you can get more leverage on it , if it slips drill through the stem and post and put a bolt in and itl never slip again , if you need to pop a metal tube over the end of the quill for even more force

this is of course after soaking it in things like diesel ( but coke is probably cheaper at the mo )

once its out ( it will come out ) throw it across the room/shed/garden/garage and shake your fists in the air

i find these do the trick quite well
100px-Pipewrench.jpg

blimey for once i dont agree completely with sheldon :shock:

using a seat will leave you with 2 rails bolted to the post and a seat in your hands after the two had parted ways

i stand by my stem usage

Latest posts

Back