Bikes with manitou rear shocks

s_zigmond

Senior Retro Guru
I remember seeing a Marin recently with manitou forks as the rear shock. Almost identical to the manitou FS. Anyone know what model this was? Did any other bikes have a similar setup?

Cheers as always

Ta

Much apreciated, it was doing my head in trying to remember.

Were they any more reliable then the manitou equivalent?

The Marin frames were heavier and made of different material (the Manitou frames were superlight Easton) so the Marin frames were probably a lot less prone to denting and cracking.

Having spent a while looking at both the Marin and the Manitou the Marin does look like a cheap Manitou copy (doesn't have the stunning CNC work though i've never seen a Ti FRS) but if you want a bike to actually ride it may not be a bad idea.

Balance made one with, I think, RST 'forks' at the back.

A bit off topic I have to say I love bikes with fade paint jobs.

Attachments

• Balance.jpg
    Balance.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 2,968
A Balance FS750 ended on eBay AU a day ago. Finished for about 40 quid in your UK money. I had a crack, but forgot about the end and missed it. Not to worry, I didn't really need it anyway. A lot of retro bizarre-ness for not a lot of money.

marin made full suspension bikes using the first manitou fs design from 1993 to 1995. there were
manitou team frs 1993, 1994, 1995 (alloy)
pine frs 1993, 1994 (steel)
titanium frs 1994, 1995 (ti)
nail trail frs 1995 (alloy)

afaik there was no ift frs.

a member on mtb-news.de has nearly all marin and manitou bikes based on the first manitou fs design. he seems to have wiped his album recently though :(

Inigo Montoya":1mu3vic8 said:
marin made full suspension bikes using the first manitou fs design from 1993 to 1995. there were
manitou team frs 1993, 1994, 1995 (alloy)
pine frs 1993, 1994 (steel)
titanium frs 1994, 1995 (ti)
nail trail frs 1995 (alloy)

afaik there was no ift frs.

a member on mtb-news.de has nearly all marin and manitou bikes based on the first manitou fs design. he seems to have wiped his album recently though :(

Youy're right, it was the Nail trail not the indian fire trail, my mistake!

You missed the Bradbury Manitou FRS from 1991/1992 (my favourite, obviously)

Back