cone spanners

konahed

Kona Fan
Need to get some cone spanners as I've recently bought a used wheel on ebay and the bearings feel a bit lumpy. The hub is a Kona Javva the Hub, I've measured the bolt thing with a ruler and it seems to be 17mm, does this sound about right? I measured another an XT hub too and it seems to be 17mm from my measurements.

Anyway, just wanted to check before I buy the spanners on ebay that 17mm is correct. Also do I need 2? Have never serviced a hub before.

Can't comment on size (though the cone spanners I have are stepped so do 15 / 17mm at one end and something else at the other - which means they should most common sizes).

I find getting the right bearing load is easier with the wheel on the bike and the quick release done up (tried it off the bike but doing up the QR kept changing the bearing load). If doing on the bike, then you will need two spanners due to the tight clearance around the forks / frame.

I got some from Halfrauds recently and they were a damn sight better than the old pair I got from a bike shop. Much sturdier and easier to grip - no sharp edges.

I live near a big leisure retailer called Decathlon, and I bought a set of two spanners, each stepped with all the sizes you need (13mm through to 17mm I think), and I think it was only £8. A lot cheaper than anything else I could find, even on the 'bay.

Happy to purchase / post if it helps you (and anyone else for that matter).

EDIT

Just been to Decathlon, and the set of two spanners, with stepped mouths to cater for 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18mm, are only £4.95 :!:

Anyone wants me to get any, and post out (guess postage will be a couple of quid), let me know.

Dave

Sizes can vary,my mavic ones are 17mm for the locknut but 14mm for the cone nut,I think my old shimano ones were 16mm.Just my luck that my cone spanners only go upto 16mm!Most cone spanners are sold in pairs as one on its own is hard work,my local shop did me some for about £8.

konahed":310l1p07 said:
Need to get some cone spanners as I've recently bought a used wheel on ebay and the bearings feel a bit lumpy. The hub is a Kona Javva the Hub, I've measured the bolt thing with a ruler and it seems to be 17mm, does this sound about right? I measured another an XT hub too and it seems to be 17mm from my measurements.

Anyway, just wanted to check before I buy the spanners on ebay that 17mm is correct. Also do I need 2? Have never serviced a hub before.
Yes, you always need two, as you're undoing/doing up one nut against the other. I'm afraid I don't know the two sizes on the Javva.

It's quite a straightforward job that anyone can do, but it's well worth looking up the advice on the excellent Park Tools website. IME the nuts can be quite reluctant to shift and the cheaper spanners have an irritating tendency to twist under load, rather than doing the job. So if you can stretch to it, it's probably worth buying something sturdier.

If you're very tight, you can get away with a 13/15mm dual ended (most common size for mtbs) and use a adjustable spanner for the outer nut.

Back