Kona Explosif Pro

dylan_bhafc

Dirt Disciple
What is the main difference between a pro and a non pro, are they much better? How can I tell what year the bike is from?

Reason I ask is a guy at work is selling an explosif pro but to me it just looks like a normal explosif (sorry don't have any pics yet), there is no sticker on it saying pro etc. Are they uber rare, worth spending more money on etc?

TIA

PS Anthony if you read this, as you can see still hunting around for something to get my juices flowing! Think that Orange is still there in Worthing, just doesn't quite grab me enough though.....

dylan_bhafc":yjp5xl4p said:
What is the main difference between a pro and a non pro, are they much better? How can I tell what year the bike is from?

Reason I ask is a guy at work is selling an explosif pro but to me it just looks like a normal explosif (sorry don't have any pics yet), there is no sticker on it saying pro etc. Are they uber rare, worth spending more money on etc?

TIA

PS Anthony if you read this, as you can see still hunting around for something to get my juices flowing! Think that Orange is still there in Worthing, just doesn't quite grab me enough though.....

Think it was just '92

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... ewsIndex=1

Might trundle along there and take a look at the P7 then Dylan, if you're not interested. Trouble is, I'm not much good at talking a price down.

You're right that the 1992 Explosif Pro wasn't distinguishable from a standard Explosif except for the fact that it had a custom paint job in any colour or combination of colours you wanted, and it had custom kit on it. So it was almost like a Hot, except for the little matter of the frame being built in Taiwan and not by Tom Teesdale. He may have painted it though, for all I know.

This far down the line, I'd say the value isn't a lot more than a standard Explosif, but if you like the colour then it may well be worth more to you.

If you look at it, I'd be very interested in the precise measurements of the seat tube c-t, top tube c-c and head tube.

I thought it was the Suntour groupset plus a ti seatpost and ti bar...or something like that.

Either way, it was mainly the component group that made it pro, much like the difference between a modern deluxe and supreme etc.

Kona Paul":rbdska7a said:
I thought it was the Suntour groupset plus a ti seatpost and ti bar...or something like that.

Either way, it was mainly the component group that made it pro, much like the difference between a modern deluxe and supreme etc.

Front suspension too...?

Easy_Rider":2fuc1ssl said:
Kona Paul":2fuc1ssl said:

Front suspension too...?

I think, as the broucher says, it had lots of options including forks, bars, posts and colours. I remember a customer having a black one with P2s and the full XC Pro groupset. Groupset was junk though so the importer at the time (2nd Level Imports) paid to change it to XT.

Anthony":16ka2yol said:
Might trundle along there and take a look at the P7 then Dylan, if you're not interested. Trouble is, I'm not much good at talking a price down.

If you look at it, I'd be very interested in the precise measurements of the seat tube c-t, top tube c-c and head tube.

Go for it with the orange, although if you do get it and turn it into a lovely shiney bike please don't rub it in!! BTW remember he offered it to me for £150 and that was just with a little interest, reckon you could knock him down to £125 - start by offering £100

tiboltrider123":1qm2s654 said:
Easy_Rider":1qm2s654 said:
Kona Paul":1qm2s654 said:

Front suspension too...?

I think, as the broucher says, it had lots of options including forks, bars, posts and colours. I remember a customer having a black one with P2s and the full XC Pro groupset. Groupset was junk though so the importer at the time (2nd Level Imports) paid to change it to XT.

It's got the suntour gears, is in black and got project two forks, apparently it had the suspension forks but the elastomer or whatever perrished so the guy at work chucked them away and bought the p2's!

So the groupset is junk then?

Back