Dean Ti seatpost lightening hardware

RockiMtn

Gold Trader
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
just got an old used Dean Ti seatpost and found that the hardware, which is similar to a Syncros pro post, is quite bulky and heavy in comparison.

thought maybe i could swap parts, but the dean hardware is much beefier, hence fairly heavy, especially the barrel.

anyone know where i could get replacement barrel and bolt set that would fit the Dean? maybe titanium or aluminum? if it helps any, the barrel is OD 10mm and length of 23mm

also, is this post any good, compared to say a Syncros Ti seatpost?

g_dean_post_front.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3640.JPG
    IMG_3640.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,466
hmm… seems there are barrel and bolt sets for Thompson posts. can anyone provide measurements for the barrel?

7de4_1.JPG

The Thomson barrel nut is much shorter, probably only 15mm or so - I'm not sure of the diameter, the bolts are M5. If you want I can give you the exact dimensions - I'll just have to pop the saddle off to do it.

Andy R":1zdzlf8g said:
The Thomson barrel nut is much shorter, probably only 15mm or so - I'm not sure of the diameter, the bolts are M5. If you want I can give you the exact dimensions - I'll just have to pop the saddle off to do it.
I can save you the trouble. I've one here - they're 8.7mm diameter by 15.6mm long. Nice round numbers.

thanks guys. nope thompson's are too small.

anyone know where i can source proper ones? the existing ones don't look in very good shape or quality.

thanks.

yeah i shot off an email regarding the barrel bolt set. unfortunately i only see the syncros and thompson sets there, both of which are too small for my application.

hopefully i'll get a reply that he has something that will fit.

Isn't this an application where strength is more important than weight?

Volume for volume (as opposed to weight for weight), steel is so much stronger than either al or ti that I'd be dubious about replacing a steel bolt with an al or ti one of the same size.

your prob right, but the Dean barrel is i think twice as big and more than twice as heavy as the set used in my Syncros post. :p

the barrel/bolt from the Dean seems to weigh as much as the two piece (aluminum?) clamps they are holding together.

also the barrel from my Syncros is yellow in colour, brass perhaps???

i'm a small/light rider (5'8"/140lbs), and haven't broken anything off my bike from shear use, so i'm not too concerned about the chances of breaking a couple of barrel/bolts off this post.

Back