Kona Sex One

Bike Hoarder

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Can anyone tell me about Kona Sex One? :D

A friend of a friend has one, from BITD. He wants to sell it, i'm interested. But what have i got to look out for?
Dodgy welds?
Worn out bushes/pivots?
Blown shock unit?

I can't seem to find much, even when googling it (well, plenty of Thai bride sites.... :oops: )

Anyone have a 1995 or 1996 Kona catologue they can scan in, or pictures to post up?

both the sex one & sex two were 95' models. i had the sex two. the sex one was black, & came with (im sure) the same shock as mine- marzocchi "bos" i think..basic link activated single pivot thats not far off what they make today.

id look out for a nakered, leaking,blown shock to start with, & worn bushes. hold the bike upright, place your knee on top of the rear wheel & yank up & down on the saddle, looking for play. if there is any, you may be in trouble, as finding new ones might be a prob.

when i blew my shock, (another thing youll have probs getting serviced) i replaced it with a fox air shock.

good bike though! i thrashed mine, raced it DH a few times.

hope that helps :)

I had a Kona U'hu from '98 and I think it is similar-ish. I could be wrong, but I think the '96 Sex bikes were of the same design as mine, but the '95 models may have been different but I'm not sure.

The only problem ever I had with it was a crack developed in the the pivot bits on the seatstay (down near the rear wheel axle)... probably from me over-tightening them as they always felt loose and sloppy. I've a single pivot sus bike now - way less to go wrong!

Kudos to Kona Australia though they did replace the broken bits under warranty before I sold the frame. Probably should have hung on to it, but what is life without regrets?

Kona_BikeMarkt96.jpg

Notice the King Kahuna lists only the frame weight not the built weight...

And the parts are all in the spec.

Hei Hei was offered in 96 as a frameset and the parts indicates the factory kit which could be ordered as an option.

yep. those shocks are a unique fit, so if it's even slightly unwell, run away. fast.

If 1995, take care as advised above. I *think* (but I suggest you check) that the shock had a very short eye to eye length, which is difficult to replace.

One original, one repainted.

Attachments

• 1995 Sex One size 16 repainted.jpg
    1995 Sex One size 16 repainted.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 4,916
  • 1995 Sex One size 19.jpg
    1995 Sex One size 19.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 4,918
Back