The Skua Debate....

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
Definitively - who made the best, who made the worst, who made the most chi chi skuas ever??

Mr K

PS. Edited due to weakness and plagiarism...

wu tang did this thread a while back. work best shimano, salsa & mavic, look best cook bros, work worst odyssy

Best: Shimano. Worst: Everything else.

OK, Mavic and Campagnolo ones are all right too ;-)

Skewered by Scant (again)

scant":10pmpgcx said:
wu tang did this thread a while back. work best shimano, salsa & mavic, look best cook bros, work worst odyssy

Couldn't find that seminal thread - bet it won't be as good as this one though...

Mr K

Attachments

• Skua by Ringle.jpg
    Skua by Ringle.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,515
without a doubt shimano make the best functioning skua's, but they are imho the least sexy. use spinstix always came across as a s*** idea........... (he waits quietly in the corner of the internet for the imminent slagging off......)

It's all about the puffin here

puffin6.jpg

failing that the skewer supremo is the 'holey' ringle.

ringle_tistix_1.jpg

absolutely definitive. Didn't work great though.

some of the old campag ones are pretty cool also.

campag-hs2.jpg

I only ever use Shimano XT skewers - I've heard too many horror stories about various others (Hope, Syncros, Superstar etc.) to even consider them. Same as I don't think that "Ti" and "skewers" should ever be mentioned in the same breath...

Besides how rare is it to find something that works better than anything else and that actually doesn't cost much? I've bought all mine from people who've been selling them after buying more "boutique" stuff.

This topic always starts a good debate. I've got a wide variety on my bikes but think the following:

Ringle Holey: Great to look at but a bit too fiddly

USE Spinstix: Like these myself, easy to get tight

Hope: Work great, look great, painful in the wet though

Trans X: Undone with a special spanner, great for security, no probs in 10 years

KORE: Just average, but tend to stick a bit when worn in

Shimano XT: Boringly perfect

Back