Shed Security - Bast**ds almsot got away with it

Cass

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all, last night someone broke into my shed and it's only down to luck that none of my bikes got stolen, I noticed the shed door was open this morning and some git had crow barred one of the panels off, fortunately they must have been disturbed as nothing has been stolen.

Does anyone have any advice on how to secure your bikes/shed, are there shed alarms available...

I'm a very relieved chap this morning and urge everyone to make sure their bikes and sheds are as secure as you can make them.

Bloody angry but incredibly relieved. :x

Cass

Depends how your shed is built, but if you have a solid base get a ground anchor and use good locks to secure your bikes. If not, it is all about making it difficult and/or noisy for them. Chain bikes to a garden roller or anything big and bulky (bench, fixed shelves, through the shed walls) that can't be easily cut. Alarm on the shed door, small explosive devices, AK47, rottweiler, Chuck Norris, any of those would work too.

Lucky bugger. Wish someone'd disturbed the thieves that've visited me over the years.

make sure the hinges are as secure as they can be. years ago, we invested in a bomb-proof padlock only to find they'd just removed the screws from the hinges & about 3 grands worth of bikes! - DOH!

the roof is also often a bit of a weak point, usually just nailed on.

dad's shed is now bolted together with many L-shaped brackets.

Or just keep them in the understairs cupboard like i do these days, don't have a shed at my gaff.

My Hei Hei normally stays indoors but the missus wanted it out of the house, only put it in there 2 days ago, :shock:

Looking at some kind of alram system, the small panels are too easily removed to secure the outside of the shed, it is a concrete floor so some kind of secured padlock system will have to go in.

Was thinking of fitting a secuity light to the inside of the shed to blind the buggers if they get in.

A series of road runner style traps might do the trick, catapult them over the house....

you get pir shed alarms for around £20 and PIR lighting does help, but keep the hei hei indoors and offer the shed to your missus.

I'm glad to hear the scumbags didn't get away with your bikes! But worrying as I keep mine in a shed. I'll have to have a think about security!

Lucky that they got disturbed, its a nightmare when stuff gets nicked.

Weve just been through it, although no bikes were taken, the thieving pickey b******s did manage to take our fully laden caravan, from behind a 6 foot fence in broad daylight, smashed off the hitch lock, smashed off the wheel clamps and just drove away with it :(

Our security system now includes CCTV, full PIR house alarm with one PIR in the caravan & one in the shed as well as a separate alarm on van and another in the shed. The van is tethered to the floor with the wheels removed. The shed is just on padlocks, but I dont store my bikes in there anyway. We also have a pair of geese just for good measure (and big eggs)

Theres lots of stuff you can do, but unfortunately, its all just layers of protection. A determined thief will get through anything, all you can do is make it as difficult for them as possible so that when they turn up they decide it will be quicker to go next door :(

Move out to the countryside. I left my new 575 outside the front door last night :shock: To muddy to risk a beating off the wife bringing it indoors.

Chaining to the concrete base is the best option, but it needs to be a serious chain and lock. It also needs to be done immediately, as they will come back, probably when you are out.

Back