Just reminiscing. The weird / wonderful / truly innovative..

deelam

Retro Guru
Has anyone any photos of, or experience riding:
the allsop (?) with the wierd carbon fibre seatpost/top tube thingy? And I seem to remember an all magnesium framed MTB from about 1991/2, the ads claimed that it was made from sea water!?

Re: Just reminiscing. The weird / wonderful / truly innovati

deelam":gajjt8xk said:
Has anyone any photos of, or experience riding:
the allsop (?) with the wierd carbon fibre seatpost/top tube thingy? And I seem to remember an all magnesium framed MTB from about 1991/2, the ads claimed that it was made from sea water!?

Never had an allsop, always wondered how they rode, I mean do you just boing every time you pedal :? , Orbit (normally make tourers) also made a custom LX equipped one for a short while.
:idea: The sea water bike was the kirk ➡️ (see advert & mag scans)

Quite a few builders did frames using the 'alsop beam', including breezer. Never rode one myself. They look funky though.
There was also a matching alsop stem that seemed briefly popular also. One pictured here

dj2720.jpg

Never tried that either but I did have a number of flexstems.

If you're talking funky old school suspension don't forget slingshot.

Gaf16 has a kirk, pictures on the site. One tonne of sea water in each or something

:LOL:

hi,

if your interested, as john says, i have a kirk magnesium frame.
there is a pic of the frame in readers bike's.

pic's of completed build will be available in around 2 weeks.

kirk frames, you either love them or hate them.

i love the industrial frame design and have just aquired another.

not everyone's bag though.

gaf16

Thanks guys, the kirk! I remember being 15 and really wanting one - I had the catalogue in the scans section. I rode an allsop and really didn't like it. It wasn't boingy unless thats because I was only about 9 stone. Bet it would boing now though (14 years on!).

Gaf16, looking forward to seeing your pics. From memory, didn't the off-the shelf bike have pretty naff components in comparison with the amazing frame???

the standard kirk bikes in 1991 were as follows:

kirk 200 - exage 300lx groupset (£350)
kirk 400 - exage 400lx groupset (£400)
kirk dx - deore dx groupset (£600)

all of the above were distributed by dawes and came in lilac, black or cerise (nice eh!).

however, frames only were available direct from kirk for both mtb and road bikes.

these frames were only available in white.

gaf16

gaf16":25m6eo4m said:
all of the above were distributed by dawes and came in lilac, black or cerise (nice eh!).

however, frames only were available direct from kirk for both mtb and road bikes.

Which will be the why the only place I've ever saw them was in my local Dawes emporium.

I reckon the Kirks look great in white.

Back