Will I snap a pace frame being a fat bloke

THEFALLGUY

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi Guys

I have always wanted a pace rc200 and am thinking of getting one but am a bit worried i will damage it due to my lardy size. i am 6' 2" and 17 stone, I am quite carefull when riding and like to think i don't blunder down the trails hitting every rock but its still going to take its toll. I currently am riding a Hei Hei with Fox RLC on or P2 s depending on mood and a modern Cannondale F5 with Pikes. Oh and a 98 rockhopper to the station which is just brilliant and its red :)

Its all pretty tame riding in South Bucks just wooded single track so what I want to know is has anyone broken a pace?

cheers

Ted

Hey

Hey Fall guy, you have no worries. I am your typical rugby player and i am 18 stone and i used to ride on once. You have no worries at all, these are seriously strong!!

They do have a fairly low recomended rider weight...which I am well on the wrong side of. That said I dont use either of mine in a way which would cause too much stress/strain The RC100 is used on road only, and the RC200 is more to look at than to ride at the mo.

Hey

I know what they say about the weight thing but its premium box section Alu, so i would be amazed if a 17 stone bloke would casue it too much worry. My freind is an engineer and he swears by his and he is not much less than me, maybe around 16 ish stone!

well mine had a rider weight limit of 16stone i think.

obviously a disclaimer, but maybe worth listening to?

Mine was a 16.5in though.

The guy in the LBS back when in the day broke three Pace frames at the BB housing. He must have been 8 stone wringing wet but the bikes were used for racing every weekend.
Seeing what he did to Pace frames was the main reason I got a Zaskar LE instead.
You've got to remember they were designed as full on race bikes and not for epic rides. They probably were only meant to last a season with a racing whippet on them.

Just a thought. ;)

I have heard the same my LBS were a PACE dealer and they had a fair few returns with them letting go round the BB apparently. The mechanic said as eye candy and a seasons XC race bike superb as a long term XC/epic steed very debatable. Still love 'em though!

I'm 11 stone and have used and abused my RC200 for well over ten years without any tubes parting company as yet (fingers crossed). All alloy frames be they cheap or expensive will fatigue over time just as steel frames can rot from inside out both rendering them as paperweights. If you like and can afford a frame then buy it and enjoy it. There have been a Pace, Klein, Marin etc frame that have failed over the years, there are also many of these frames in existance in a high percntage.

Back