DigitalKreation = Mark from Toronto, Canada

digitalkreation

Retro Guru
Hi all,

I've been lurking on the site a while, and have started to post, so I thought it fitting to introduce myself. I'm Mark, from Toronto, Canada. I raced a bit in Sport class back in the early and mid 90's, but have been off the bike since around 98.

I've been meaning to get back into the swing of things for a long time, but it wasn't until I acquired a 95 Barracuda XX Team bike, that I started down the road. My plan is to spend the Fall & Winter months restoring this bike, and getting on it in the Spring, full time.

I'm using the site to make some new friends (some close, some distant) and to locate the parts I need (check my signature) for the build. I'm happy to be a part of the community and can't wait to share some stories. :)

Here's a "before" picture of the bike I'm building. This image was taken earlier in the summer, before the bike was crated for shipping to Toronto. The bike spent a lot of time sitting outside, the paint is very faded. I have it fully apart at the moment, and am collecting the parts I need for the build. With luck, I'll have it done by March.

xxteam-before01.jpg

xxteam-before02.jpg

xxteam-before03.jpg

xxteam-before04.jpg

This build won't be "truly" oem. The XX-Team bike was spec'd with mid-line components, and a lot of Barracuda-branded taiwanese metal. I'm keeping all these in a box, and will be choosing instead, to spec it the way they built their actual team (and their oem "Unlimited") bikes using Ringle, Topline, XTR. This is the way the bike looks in the Eric Carter "Airwalk" ad located in the Magazine section of this site. I will also send the frame and fork off to Spectrum Powder Works in the USA, so they can recreate the paint job in every detail. I'm even going to have them redo the "Tree Amigos" decal on the seat tube. :)

Anyhow, that's me and my project. Looking forward to chatting with all of you!

Best,
Mark

Looks good

Hi mate
Looks good, but sounds like it will be pretty special by the time you finish it.
Welcome aboard. :)

Jamie

Yeah, there's a back-story behind this one..

When this bike was brand new to the showroom floor, I happened to purchase the frame. Times got tough and I needed some cash. I couldn't justify another bike and I had to sell it back to the bike shop. I fully intended to go back and get it back the minute I had some spare money, but that happened too late; the frame had been built up and sold.

The shop had no more in stock and ordered one, but then they went under. It just wasn't meant to be at that time. Fast forward 14 years and I've stumbled upon this one. I fully plan on enjoying this build and enjoying the bike once it's completed.

:)

Looks a good project and thats a fine parts list you've drawn up there :cool:

I've actually been reading up on the quality control issues surrounding the Topline / Grafton cranks, and I have to say I'm quite worried. I mean, I am a 6'1" fella, weighed in at 170lbs in the day, but I'm about 210 now. Perhaps the cranks will go on the bike for a nice picture, and then shelved while I use a set of Race Face for the riding? :)

saw your posting of the lbs story in the mtbr reviews site.

I was wondering, what's your take on the A2M model?

Thanks and good luck on your project.

Back