Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
evening all.

i have just secured myself an early 90's alpinestars al mega dx (elivated stay model) included in the sale are a headset reducer, xtr rear mech and the original dx front mech. sadly the frame was resprayed non original colours (red/yellow fade).

i know for a fact this frame used to belong to a very good friend of mine. he can remember every component he had on the bike and he can also recall his wish list of what he wanted if he had the funds.

i have decided to rebuild the bike but i dont know which route to go down. neither will be easy.

my first problem is what to do with the frame. the original paint is so bad its good, heres what it used to be - found this pic on ebay...

2dbqwk1.jpg

does anyone have one in these colours? is the white flat or pearl? i seem to recall my mates being a pearl effect. does the yellow fade into the white? is the pink part of the decal or is it paint? any help would be greatly received.

i now need to find a white porc. he ran one on the front and it was intended to stay in dream build mode

Hi, I am almost certain that the pink is part of the decal on those. Ive also just sold an Alpine lx and the white on that was defo pearlized (If that is a real word!). I have been looking around for decal's like the originals with no luck as was going to return mine to original colour's, so it's staying as it is for now. As for the reducer's, i would use them. Mine already had them fitted and it open's up your possibilities endlessly. I kept it simple for the time being and just fitted handsomedog straight fork's off ebay as i bought a frame only and went from there. The only problem i have encountered with building one of these is the front mech still move's slightly on it's frame mount even though it's tight as hell. Dont know why they didnt just clamp fix it like everyone else. Thinking of running a single chainring up front to save weight and hassle. Good luck with your pproject and keep us up to date. Dave. :D

Attachments

• alu mega 3.jpg
    alu mega 3.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 1,012
better first check very carefull if it's not cracked somewhere.... serious :roll:

cheers guys. its definately not cracked but appreciate the warning. funny you should mention the front mech. my mate said it was a pain. you can tighten it down and as soon as you change gear it moves!

your bike looks sweet dave. if i find decals ( i have emailed gil_m) i'll let you know

I had one, and wish i still did! it was deffo pearl white and the change to yellow was hidden under the pink graffic which was part of the sticker set. I am super jelous, its a classic!

The origional tyres were Ritchey megabytes 2.0, but they looked really cool with white onza porcs on them - good luck finding those though! they only did about 100 miles before they were bald.

if you can do an original paintjob and get some stickers done that would awsome!! :D :D

the picture you have there is the frame i would love to have :D i rode one a while ago, i have to say i didn't like it ride wise but i think that was more to do with the way it was set up by the owner! :roll:

an alpinestars is definately on the shopping list at some point! :D

Send me your email friend, i have dozens of pictures of 1991 al-mega's, including some very good close ups.

thanks for help guys. emails have been sent, millions (!) of pictures have filled my inbox and have been studied.

gutted that i gave away an old megabyte about 2 days ago!

does anyone still have any original decals? would anyone be prepared to trace them including the pink and black etc??? its a big ask!

Back