Zaskar - what do I need to be authentic?

stuartg

Old School Hero
Ok, so I am doing up my Zaskar - used it for c.10 years and needs an overhaul.

Anyway, how close do you need to go back to the original detail to be authentic.

I have put on the correct crank, rear and front der, now waiting for the Kore stem and handlebars. However, I have HS33 brakes as opposed to cantis - prefer riding with better stopping power :shock:

The forks are Bomber 2 and the shifters are not xt (stx-rc) - they are from the timeframe but not the stock gear. However I have just found out that the Zaskar is annodised black (97), which is not a stock bike - gt tech dept.

But how far should you take the bike back :? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

you should build the bike for yourself. if you want it factory spec then do it factory spec. it sounds like you want to do it to the period which is also cool. there are many schools of thought on how to build a bike. do it how you want it.

you should build it perfect, no exceptions! right down to the grease!! otherwise it's just not right! you must search out the original bearings from each hub and comb the earth to find them! this is the only way for true authenticity!

of course you could just throw any old stuff on it and ride it! :D i know which i would choose!
;) :D

I will end up having to compromise a bit, as this will be the bike that I will use for xttera :?: next year.

My thoughts are:

- drive - from the period

- bars - from the period

- rear wheel is an lx 7 speed - can't work out whether to change - thoughts :?

- front wheel - GT

both mavic x138 rims - look good

- shifters will stay unless i change the back wheel and put 8 speed

Not sure how easy xt 8 speed shifters would be to get hold of.

- Brakes stay with hs33

I have the winter to try and test around the dog at cannock :twisted:

i`ve just rebuilt my 96 zaskar le but with todays components apart from the rear v brake and xt front mech,build with what your happy with ;)

My Zaskar LE is 99% period correct, M900 XTR, Rock Shox Mag21's etc, just a modern bar and seatpost.

My Zaskar on the other hand has a mixture of bits, Rock Shox Indy SL's, old and new LX, but then its a rider.

So really, whatever makes you happy bud, it doesnt matter! ;)

I also lusted over the high end GT's but defo could not afford them bitd. This thread makes a lot of sense already, build it to your liking, and then RIDE it how you like it.

But obviously you do care about the authentic "feel", so here's my personal take on the quintessential Zaskar:
Key visual elements are the ball burnished frame, long flat black Kore stem with the big white script and flat bar, black rigid forks with curved and tapered blades (Bologna?) or optional a Judy SL in yellow and black.

Drivetrain and finishing parts not critical but should be black and silver, period is nice and XT the norm. Go easy on the ano colours, blue or red only and limit it to the 3 QR's, spoke nips and maybe barends. Colour echo's outline/body of the GT frame decals. That's it really.

This Zaskar is probably going back a few years before 97, and likely I'm mixing up stuff anyhow. Plus since you are starting with a black frame I'm not sure if this helps at all, sorry. But Magura's are period correct and perfect stoppers so I'd stick with them no doubts and as said, it's all up to you and what you like.

Enjoy!!

In honour of my GT achieving some 50,000 miles commuting work, I've decided to go as near as dammit to when I bought it from Mikes Bikes, Cambridge in 1993.

The only thing that wont be original is the XT STI as it just wasnt nice. Finding Mag21's is gonna take a while too.

Agree with comments:

- bike will black, silver and red only :!:

- black frame, stem , post and bars

- red forks and head set

- silver drive train and brakes

Will post pictures when finished.

One question though why july :? I have bomber 2 forks from the period - is this just to keep inline with the stock bike :?:

Back