what year is this race face xy seatpost (roughly)

It's an earlier one as the logo changed to the one with the eye in it after this logo. post remained the same.

good, strong and quite a lot more flexy than a thomson post.

and I should say a smidge ligter thana thomson too. :D

Wu-Tangled":3bzez80y said:
good, strong and quite a lot more flexy than a thomson post.
:D

thats funny you say that, the main reason they stopped making the XY was the top clamp section on occasion used to split the top of the shaft & rip out.

You did break them all?

I would say they stopped making them, because they were sophisticated made and RF and practically the whole industry went into an era of efficient produced soulless disposibles at some point

...but Scant's theory could be true too. Anyway, I never broke one, but I am only a XC'ing skinny guy.

The RF with that logo was launched in, I think, 1996 and probably 1st appeared on the market in 1997. No idea when they were dicontinued. Lost interest than.

without wanting to get overly techy and nerdlike about a particular seatpost...

the 27.2mm's are ever so slightly fatter than all other 27.2mm seatposts I have found. Fit snugly in my seat tube where thomsons etc have a little wobble to them.

:D

Elev12k":bldo48vv said:
The RF with that logo was launched in, I think, 1996 and probably 1st appeared on the market in 1997. No idea when they were dicontinued. Lost interest than.

1997 Holy shit, really? that long ago! I must be getting old.

Elev12k":3636nrcc said:
...but Scant's theory could be true too. Anyway, I never broke one, but I am only a XC'ing skinny guy.

plus i knew a guy who worked in silverfish the uk importer ;)

I can't say that.

Can say that I worked for the Dutch importer, but who cares.

Elev12k":flzpq7bn said:
I can't say that.

Can say that I worked for the Dutch importer, but who cares.

I still use 1, it hasnt broken, but a few of my, shall we say more hardcore mates hav. the insert into the seattube wasnt quite long enuff apparently.
the surface finish does vary a lot also. taking measurements along the shaft with a vernier calipers the variance in diameter is kinda scary! at least with machined posts such as syncros & thomson the diamater stays the same (less chance of it slipping in the seattube)

Back