Brake enhancement thingys

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Anyone ever use one of these
picked up a pair on ebay,no real use as i use v's but they are purple and they are retro,two good reasons to buy
can someone post a pic of them in use,and tell me[us] if they actually do what they're supposed to

This is what they do.

They are also intended to remove the need for a stradle wire, but obviously you need somewhere to bolt it to.

If I run my Indys on the Zaskar, I'll be using one.

Attachments

• zaskar4_136.jpg
    zaskar4_136.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,322
They are in no way designed to 'enhance' braking - they simply act as pivot points/ hangers for frames/ forks without canti mounts - as Pickles has demonstarted.

Some early cannondales had them as standard.

Those in the picture are Tektros, I believe. Cannondale's Force 40s act on the same principle, although there are two versions of them. They eliminate the need for a cable housing stop and replace the hanger. They are problematic to set up, but once dialed in make for some pretty powerful brakes, as they eliminate the inherent slack in a normal straddle wire. At least that's the theory... :D

These pics were ganked from retrobike, I believe the brass version pic came from Jeff @ First Flight.

Attachments

• DSCF0045.jpg
    DSCF0045.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,277
  • IMG_1512.JPG
    IMG_1512.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,277
  • force40-2.jpg
    force40-2.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 1,277
Often used in 'pre-V' days to allow the usage of complicated swing arms without the hassle of cutting holes in tubes for canti cables to run through. They were an absolute faff to get set up, invariably ended up spongy feeling but were a nesessary evil until linear brakes came along. They work best if you crank up the tension in your cantis to the max

Unless you are using Suntour '93 and the Power Hanger where it is ...increases modulation ... without exception, the Power Hanger is the best way to increase your braking power

Back