what tyres for road use?

2cvash

Retro Newbie
Hi, kinda new here - just bought a '92 Pine Mountain that's gonna be used as a commuter bike. It's currently equipped with a 1.95 veloceraptor & 2.1 smoke...

I'm looking for something ideally with a skinwall, but have also been looking at Panaracer crosstowns in 1.75 flavour. Anyone had any experience of these?

cheers

I used Specialized Crossroads with the armadillo anti puncture thingy, but Schwalbe Marathon in a wide size also seems very popular with the commuters.
No fun with knobblies on the road, bloody hard work compared to a nice semi slick

I put Specialized Crossroads tyres on my husband's bike and they've been good in all sorts of conditions from muddy towpaths to tarmac roads and so far haven't punctured in 18 months.

I've put Specialized Nimbus 1.5 tyres on a spare set of wheels for my mountain bike and these roll quite well when pumped up hard for the road-slick rather than semi slick though but wouldn't be bad for commuting.

When I bought one of these recently the price varied greatly - Edinburgh cycle co-operative had the best buys at the time.

I run 1.95 'Michelin City Transworld Puncture Pros' for the road. Pump them up to 55psi and get at least 5-6mph faster than with knobblies on. Also and one of the best things, apart from the extra speed, is that you don't get that BUZZING noise which knobblies make :twisted:

I use 1.25" white wall Tioga city slickers on my RC100, fantastic for road use.

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess i should've mentioned that i'd really like something grippy & sure footed on Tarmac roads! :LOL:

The armadillos whilst puncture proof are a horrible feeling tyre, wouldn't recommend them unless puncture resistance is a priority. Conti top tourers were fantastic and city slickers were good but don't last too long. If I had to pick a 26" tyre I would go for a conti ultra gator skin.

I like the Michlen Sprint 1.95. It has a little bit if you want to go of road, but very minimal tread.

Back